SOLVED

SFDC Marketo Email Template folder is inundated with templates - how to stop?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

SFDC Marketo Email Template folder is inundated with templates - how to stop?

Hi,

I'm trying to plug a hole and stop a massive data overage in Salesforce with, presumably, Marketo Sales Insight creating a new email template for each email sent (yikes!). Can someone share how to stop Marketo Sales Insight from publishing every sales insight or Marketo to Outlook customized email (from a marketo sales insight email template)? I need the template copy not every email.

I've attached a screenshot for reference.

Please share if you know how to fix!

Lindsey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brigid_Greenwa2
Level 4

Re: SFDC Marketo Email Template folder is inundated with templates - how to stop?

Hi Lindsey-

I have the same issue - I think it is a weird side effect of the MSI functionality.  It does not even have to be a template that marketing makes available through the MSI for this to happen - one off email sends using the MSI will put a "email template" in that folder.

Maybe someone from Product Development could weigh in.

Thanks,

Brigid

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SFDC Marketo Email Template folder is inundated with templates - how to stop?

You see the "available to use" section all checked? If you go to those emails in MKTO you can edit the settings and uncheck "publish to marketo sales insight".

Looks like this setting is checked and if you clone your emails this value will follow.

-Tim

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is true, but I do need the templates in MSI available for use by reps. Brigid's comment about how a new template is created at each send is the answer but goodness. Prod Dev should fix this!

Brigid_Greenwa2
Level 4

Hi Lindsey-

I have the same issue - I think it is a weird side effect of the MSI functionality.  It does not even have to be a template that marketing makes available through the MSI for this to happen - one off email sends using the MSI will put a "email template" in that folder.

Maybe someone from Product Development could weigh in.

Thanks,

Brigid

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know that MSI creates a new template at each send. Products and Support​ should make a fix for this!

Brigid, do you go in and mass delete these every once in a while from the salesforce end? If I do that will the Marketo Sales Insight actual template emails flow back up into salesforce for use by the reps?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, the work around I have for now is to extract all the email templates from the Marketo Template folder in Salesforce (per documentation here https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000D109AAC ). Retain a copy externally for just in case and then delete via dataloader. This process will be done manually on a regular basis because the sales and marketing folks use the 'send with Marketo' Outlook function send about 1,500 of these one off emails over the course of the week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add to this topic - We never check the box "Publish to Marketo Sales Insight" and yet a template is created in SFDC for every new email created in Marketo.

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Lindsey,

The templates are created when Marketo syncs lead email activities to Salesforce.  You can disable these activities from syncing in Marketo Admin > Salesforce > Edit Sync Options.  The templates will no longer be created, but you also won't get these activities pushed from Marketo anymore.

John

pastedImage_0.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thinking, but this really isn't a solution. Users want the activity summary (sent, opened, clicked) to be moved to SF without having wade through each sent copy of the 'template'.

Matthew_Barnet1
Level 2

But they can get that visibility under the "Email" tab of the Sales Insight frame of the Lead or Contact.

A benefit of turning off the Activity creation option when emails are sent, opened, clicked, etc. is its saves you on the data storage front, as all of those Activities each consume a some small amount of data that counts against your limit.