Sending Email Using Marketo For Outlook to new lead

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Sending Email Using Marketo For Outlook to new lead

If I send an email using the Marketo add-in to an email that is not in our Marketo databse, will that lead be created and have activity created for? Thanks!

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Re: Sending Email Using Marketo For Outlook to new lead

Yes!

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

What kind of information, exactly? First and Last name? How about company name? Only ask because our Salesforce instance, which syncs with Marketo, requires a lead to have those fields or else it won't sync to Salesforce.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

No, it can't have first and last name. All we have to work off is the email address...

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

So guessing we can just fill in the rest of the info manually? Thanks!

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Absolutely. I believe if you log an email you received with Marketo, then if First & Last name are present we record it. But when you are sending we won't have that.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

So hypothetical: I send a Marketo message through Outlook to a new lead. Marketo then creates a new record with only their email address. Then that lead replies to the email, does Marketo now have their first and last name?

Thanks!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

No.  They would either need to submit a form; or already exist in your DB, at which point, the activity would be merged with the existing lead record.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Yeah, any reply is going directly to your inbox and Marketo has no ability (or right) to sniff it. The plugin does have a way to "log a received sales email" manually, however, which is what I was referring to.