Segmentations Vs Smartlists

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segmentations Vs Smartlists

What's the advantage of creating a segmentation and then using them in your smart campaigns versus creating several smartlists to obtain the segmentations that you want?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Segmentations Vs Smartlists

I find it easier to use segments for big ideas - like territories and industries. Then, yes, you can use them as you would with smart lists but also you can use them for dynamic content in emails,etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Kim! What's the disadvantage of using smartlists for big ideas? The reason I ask is because I don't want to have to depend on waiting for my segmentations to get approved every time I have to make a change to them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally understand, it takes a while to approve those segments. 😞

I think it's a cleaner way to go about certain campaigns. Ex: I use territory segments for assignment rules.

Also, you can easily report on certain segmentations(http://community.marketo.com/MarketoTutorial?id=kA250000000Kz0w). And I am hopefully going to take advantage of the dynamic content and snippets soon so that's a biggy.

If you have time, I'd just try making a few segmentations and seei what you can do with them. I still use smart lists for a lot of stuff but I find segments helpful in different ways. There is a deep dive about segmentations too.
Amy_Lepre
Level 7

Another thing that segmentation gives you is improved system performance. Also, although you have to wait for the segmentations to be approved, once that is done - they are always updated. You don't have to wait for the system to run through a smart campaign each time. See Jep's presentation from Summit 2013 (the segmentation stuff is on page 29 of the PDF linked there).