Re: Segmentations Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segmentations Question

Can Marketo segmentations have a parent/child, master/slave or folder/sub-folder relationship? 

My idea was to make a Marketable (Default) vs. Non-Marketable Segmentation a 'master' and only run the other segments on the Marketable Database?  In our case, it would dramatically cut the workload, update and refresh time. 

Does anybody use the Marketable vs. Non-Marketable segment set up?

Could I just filter all the other segments to include Marketable leads only? Is their any downside to doing this?  Would I lose anything by doing this?

Eric

5 REPLIES 5
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Hi Eric,

So far as I know, segmentations always apply to the entire database, and there's not a way to layer them like that. Here's what I would do instead: A single segmentation, with segments like this, where N is the number of categories of marketable leads:

Marketable Category 1

Marketable Category 2

Marketable Category N

Default: Nonmarketable

The challenge is that the logic for what makes someone "marketable" would have to be built into every segment's filters, which might not be reasonable/scalable depending on your needs.

- Grant

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Eric,

All segmentations in Marketo will run for your entire database.  There isn't currently a way to base one segments rules off of the Member Segments in a different Segmentation.

You could have a smart list that figured all of your Marketable leads, and use that to base your segment rules on, but I understand this isn't the solution you were looking at.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

What about having one segment Marketable = Default  All other segments such as persona, GEO, Management Level, etc.  would start with the rule Member of Marketable Segment = Default.  If that can be done we would drop over 50% of processing for segmentations.

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Eric,

The Member of Segment filter isn't available when creating the rules for another segment, so it's not possible to base the rules for one on another.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I did not setup the segments we have or the Smart Lists..

Thanks for all your help.