Scheduling Emails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduling Emails

I recently scheduled an email to go out at 10am EST. I checked my settings and I am in the EST time zone. For some reason, it didn't go out unti 11am EST, yet it's still saying it went out at 10am EST.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so, do you know why?

Thanks,
Jen
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scheduling Emails

This has happened to me before and Marketo Support said that my smart list was running the logic which caused a delay in the actual email to go out after the scheduled time.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes I think it just takes a while if there are a lot of leads receiving the email or if there are several emails going out at once (there can be a queue). I'd always schedule on the earlier end just in case if you have a reminder or something time-sensitive.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Michelle and Kim!! It makes me feel better that this happened to someone else. I recently took over this role, so I was a little worried!
Anonymous
Not applicable

One way to avoid this issue is to create a Smart Campagn to gather the targets ahead of time.  Your smart list critera is the same, but the flow is "Add to List"  

When you want to send the email, create a second Smart Campaign with a smart list of "Member of List" and a flow of "Send Email".  This always runs faster than it would if you were trying to generate the smart list at the time you send the email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Michelle's explination is logical.

We had this issue as our smart lists got more and more complex. So our answer was to create the smart lists in advance and export them as static lists. This requires more advance planning, but on the flip side messages sent from static lists almost always get sent out within 2-3 minitues of when they're expected to run.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The added benefit to doing it the way Steve and I suggest is that you can get a very accurate gauge of the number of mails that will get sent out if you filter out Email in valid and unsubscribes.