SOLVED

Re: Scalable lead routing with queues

Go to solution
Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Scalable lead routing with queues

I wanted to get a feel for how others are addressing building scalable lead routing processes in their Marketo and/or SFDC instances.

Currently we have a 20 person territory-based SDR team, however we are constantly adding people and/or shuffling territories to react to the market. This becomes very painful to deal with when leads are owned by individuals as you now have to update the lead routing rules and also lead ownerships. We're considering switching to managing lead ownership by queues so that we have a queue for each territory (e.g. PacNW Queue, Midwest Queue, etc) and can assign people to a queue so that when someone moves from one territory to another, we just update the queue they're in without needing to update the lead routing rules.

However, this presents a problem where Marketo doesn't lead owner details if a lead is owned by a queue regardless of how much detail we have for the queue itself.

How have others who have gone through this addressed this issue?

Thanks,

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If your lead routing is that complex, it should really be done in SFDC. All you have to do is update the Lead Assignment Rules for the target User. Your SFDC Admin should be able to move the Lead Owner and Contact Owners fairly easily.

But I do love Queues and they could make life easier on the Marketo side at least (you'll still have to manage users). But if you are moving territory lines alot, then you are still in the same boat, but with queues.

The only time Queues really matter to Marketo is with Change Owner or Sync Lead to SFDC - the system will show you the Queue name.

Yes, Queues do not have Lead Owner Name, etc...but you can use Snippets for signatures if you plan to use "Sales Named" campaigns. You will just have to use Segmentations or smart lists to help manage which leads get what.

The question is what do you really want to do? Run sales named campaigns better? Manage leads better? Maybe it's easier to use a "fake" or central name on all programs like that and route emailed responses manually.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Andy,

Using queues is strongly recommended in your case. Look at my 2 comments at the bottom of this idea :

-Greg

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If your lead routing is that complex, it should really be done in SFDC. All you have to do is update the Lead Assignment Rules for the target User. Your SFDC Admin should be able to move the Lead Owner and Contact Owners fairly easily.

But I do love Queues and they could make life easier on the Marketo side at least (you'll still have to manage users). But if you are moving territory lines alot, then you are still in the same boat, but with queues.

The only time Queues really matter to Marketo is with Change Owner or Sync Lead to SFDC - the system will show you the Queue name.

Yes, Queues do not have Lead Owner Name, etc...but you can use Snippets for signatures if you plan to use "Sales Named" campaigns. You will just have to use Segmentations or smart lists to help manage which leads get what.

The question is what do you really want to do? Run sales named campaigns better? Manage leads better? Maybe it's easier to use a "fake" or central name on all programs like that and route emailed responses manually.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hey Josh,

The lead routing is all done in SFDC. The reason I asked was because we want switch lead routing in SFDC to be queue based without hurting our sales named campaigns in Marketo, so I wanted to know how other power users were handling this issue.

I looked at the discussion Gregoire pointed to earlier, but the issue there is that all the sales naming would be hard-coded since snippets won't take into account the details on the queue member.

Daryl_Vanderbur
Level 1

Hi Josh,

Can you please clarify the use case related to your comment about using Snippets for "Sales Named" campaigns, and also provide a more detailed description of the solution involving the segmentations/smart lists?   If I'm getting the gist, I think this might help a customer of mine. 

Thanks!.