Re: Salesforce Sync

Anonymous
Not applicable

Commenting to subscribe and offer a possible solution. 

We want to accomplish something similar where there are certain records that we have to keep in SFDC that we do not want in Marketo. 

It would involve creating a field, "do not sync" or whatever you'd like to call it which would note whether or not the lead was supposed to be synced over from SFDC.

We'd then set up a  smart campaign looking for any leads created by SFDC with this particular field checked, and the flow step would be to delete it, only from Marketo.

Does that sound like a viable solution? Or am I missing/forgetting something?
Natali_Talevski
Level 4

Hi Ian,

The first step of creating a do not sync field is correct - this field would be created in SFDC and those records that you don't want synced would be flagged as true.

However, if you just then delete the record in Marketo, it will add it back in from SFDC in the next sync. You need to create a sharing permission for your Marketo user that says Marketo can only see records with do not sync = false. This way, they stay in SFDC, but as Marketo can't see them, they will not be synced back into Marketo when you remove them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Natali, 

Thanks for the response! What you're saying makes sense, so if I could ask for your help in clarifying a couple more things..

Would I create the sharing permission in SFDC or Marketo? 

And the user would the account we're using to sync marketo to SFDC, right? 
Natali_Talevski
Level 4

The sharing permissions are created in SFDC against the Marketo account you have set up for the sync.

Support sent me a video on how its done. Just go to University > Courses > Admin. The video is called Hide records from Marketo with the sync profile in SFDC. You can watch it on demand, but basically says to go to your Marketo user profile in SFDC, and for both leads and contacts, you set the permissions to be criteria based rather than role based. Then just put what your criteria would be - eg if Do Not Sync = True are records you want to hide, then your permission would say that Marketo can only see records where Do Not Sync = False.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Natali,

This makes complete sense. I have a few questions - would we have to set org wide defaults to private before doing this? Also, would this override Marketo's user profile of being able to View All/Modify All for leads and contacts? Or would I have to change that?

Also, in order to give everyone else in our organization access to all leads, would I have to create a different sharing rule for them?

Thank you very much for your help!
Natali_Talevski
Level 4

Hi Erica,

We actually couldn't get this to work in our SFDC instance, as we have customised the users and their permissions quite extensively. A bit frustrating, but I have heard of others making it work.

Apologies I can't be more help. If we ever get it to work, I'll post the process.

Natali