Salesforce Duplicate Management Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable

Salesforce Duplicate Management Tool

Does anyone have experience using this tool in conjunction with Marketo? I have a question about the functionality.

After Duplicate Management is set up, here’s how it works.

• When a user attempts to save a new record, the record is first compared with existing Salesforce records to identify possible duplicates (1). The criteria used to compare records and identify the possible duplicates are defined by a matching rule. Next, a list of possible duplicates is returned (2). What happens when the record being saved is identified as a possible duplicate depends on what’s defined in the duplicate rule (3). For example, the duplicate rule could block users from saving the possible duplicate record or allow them to save it anyway. Both the Block and Allow options include an alert, which tells users why they can’t save the record and what they need to do. The Allow option includes the ability to report on the duplicate records.

If a lead is uploaded in Marketo with duplicate details except for the email address (e.g. rmcdowell@grovo.com and robb.mcdowell@grovo.com), and Salesforce blocks the new lead from being created, what happens to the duplicate in Marketo? Is there an error notification given? Do you have the option to merge or delete the duplicate when this happens?

7 REPLIES 7
Delinda_Tinkey1
Level 5

Re: Salesforce Duplicate Management Tool

I haven't tested this, but my guess is that Salesforce would not block Marketo from creating the lead. Have you tried?

carlymae
Level 2

Hi Robberto,

We ran into major issues with this -- SFDC would block a new lead from being created. SFDC ended up custom writing an exception for Marketo, and it now works fine -- but watch your lead syncs if you choose to implement this and contact SFDC immediately if it happens!

I can get more info from our Sales Operations team if you need more detail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.

Do you mean that SFDC wrote an exception into their app? Or you had to get your Sales Ops team to write a custom exception rule?

Also, I'm curious what it looks like on the Marketo side when this happens. I'm assuming it would record the failed sync in the lead's activity log, but would it also produce a notification?

It would be great to get in touch with your Sales Ops team to find out more. Can you reach out to me at rmcdowell@grovo.com?

Thanks

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I'm not familiar with the tool you speak of, but if SFDC rejects a lead insertion or action, it will show up in the lead activity log or Notifications as "FAILED" with some detail on the failure.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Carly Rudeen​ that is super helpful info. I didn't know the Duplicate Manager would block a Marketo lead based on its fuzzy logic -- I thought it was more functioning at the user interface level not for the API. What did you have to get SFDC to do to allow it?

carlymae
Level 2

We worked directly with Salesforce to allow Marketo in as an exception. We originally wrote a rule into our SFDC, but the duplication tool overrode it. SFDC is aware of this issue -- so If you experience it I'd go directly to them.

Neil_Robertson6
Level 5

The feature you are talking about is a new feature released as part of the SFDC Spring 15 roll-out.  The feature is Salesforce only so there would be nothing stopping Marketo creating a duplicate (as the example you give is two separate emails addy's).     your best logic would be to warn rather than block as it is easier to work out long term logic and patterns of duplicate creation.