SOLVED

Retrieve data from Google Sheets or web

Go to solution
nitenichiryu
Level 2

Retrieve data from Google Sheets or web

I would like to reflect the latest # of users in the mail contents every time I send the mail for the mail campaign (this e-mail will be sent every 2 weeks), I would like to do the following: 

1. Share the google sheet which includes # of users

2. Fetch the E13 cell data in the Google sheet via script token and update # of users in the mail contents

Question:
a) Could you tell me the best practice for updating the contents based on the web for fetching the latest data?

a) Is it feasible to do the above in Marketo?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Retrieve data from Google Sheets or web

You cannot use Velocity to connect to external services.

You can use a webhook-compatible service to do this, but it’d be quite wasteful to update a person field for everybody, when it’s the same value for every send. Instead I would call the webhook-compatible service only once per day (in the context of a special person we call a Resource Person) and have it use the Marketo REST API to update a single shared {{my.token}}. (Alternately, you could use your own scheduler to call the REST API once per day, but I like the simplicity of having a service be passive until something from Marketo deliberately triggers it.)

By the way, I think you mean “leads” or “people” or “users of our product” not simply “users”. From a Marketo perspective, users are the people who log in. Better to be clear about the business meaning of such terms.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Retrieve data from Google Sheets or web

You cannot use Velocity to connect to external services.

You can use a webhook-compatible service to do this, but it’d be quite wasteful to update a person field for everybody, when it’s the same value for every send. Instead I would call the webhook-compatible service only once per day (in the context of a special person we call a Resource Person) and have it use the Marketo REST API to update a single shared {{my.token}}. (Alternately, you could use your own scheduler to call the REST API once per day, but I like the simplicity of having a service be passive until something from Marketo deliberately triggers it.)

By the way, I think you mean “leads” or “people” or “users of our product” not simply “users”. From a Marketo perspective, users are the people who log in. Better to be clear about the business meaning of such terms.