REST API Documentation - Product Quality Issue, do product managers read these posts?

xceled
Level 2

REST API Documentation - Product Quality Issue, do product managers read these posts?

Hoping that product managers/employees are roaming here. Need to talk about the Marketo REST API documentation and/or APIs.

I'm doing what I imagine is fairly common development against the REST APIs. I'm using the formal Swagger file and documentation (https://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/endpoint-reference).

I have now run into multiple examples where the definition of APIs do not match what Marketo REST services actually return.

Most of them look less like documentation issues and more like bugs in the response type. Meaning, what the documentation says it should return is correct but what I actually get back in the API response is not correct.

A few examples:

Asset > Get Folders > ResponseOfFolderResponse > result > folderId > FolderId object returns "Value" property instead of "Id" for the folder id. Other APIs appear to properly return the documented version of the "Folder" object

Asset >Send Sample EMail > ResponseOfIdResponse > Result > {"service":"sendTestEmail","result":true} instead of documented IdResponse object

As a customer, this is frustrating and so far my interactions with support have been very poor. In most cases, support either seems to shrug off the issue and say to use the model I get back or tell me to send emails to some developer email address, to which no developers reply. The only way I got anyone to look into it is through escalating my support cases. But I keep finding more issues like this. 

So Marketo Product Manager over the REST API, if you're out there, there are some serious quality/support issues with your APIs that as a customer, I believe desperately need to be addressed.