Re: Resource for Outlook Optimized emails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Resource for Outlook Optimized emails

I've been working on developing a responsive template for Marketo and noticed that Marketo strips out the Outlook conditional tags. Is there a resource for writing a solid responsive template that will work on most clients and most devices?
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a few sources for templates:

http://internations.github.io/antwort/

http://speckyboy.com/2014/07/10/free-responsive-email-templates/

https://litmus.com/blog/go-responsive-with-these-7-free-email-templates-from-stamplia

We use the Antwort templates and have been pretty happy with them. (They render beautifully across a wide range of devices / clients.)
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Traci, what conditional tags are being stripped out?  We've been banging our heads trying to figure out how to fix our responsive emails when sent to users who have adjusted their Windows scaling above 100%.  I've tried everything mentioned here, but the issue still remains. So I wonder if it's due to Marketo stripping out specific code.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if you put in conditional tags:

<!--[if !mso]><!-- -->

<!--<![endif]-->

then send a test email, in Outlook, view source and those conditional statements are gone. I might try calling Marketo Support to verify this is true. If so, this makes Outlook formatting more difficult. I'll check out the links that Osman provided, but trying to make things responsive accross different devices and clients is proving to be very difficult. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trust me when I say that most of the difficult work has been done for you if you begin with one of those templates. Start by using one, say one of the Antwort templates, as is, in a new template in Marketo and testing it out. I think you'll find that the results are pretty solid. If you're not certain what is and isn't supported when you begin to customise, consult Campaign Monitor's CSS guide: www.campaignmonitor.com/css

Also, there's a guide on the Email on Acid site that walks you through some fixes that will help you with Outlook. ("17 Must-Know Tricks for Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013".)

Dan_Stevens_

That's the culprit!  Marketo is stripping out this key piece of code within the head of the HTML:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> <o:PixelsPerInch>96</o:PixelsPerInch> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]-->
Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

It looks like marketo has since allowed for comments to stay in the email, but the image size fix that your code should fix doesn't work now because marketo is stripping out the xmlns attributes from the html tag. When validating the html marketo gives this warning:

line 2 column 1 - Warning: <html> proprietary attribute "xmlns:v"

line 2 column 1 - Warning: <html> proprietary attribute "xmlns:o"

Does anyone know if there's an alternative way to define the xml namespaces for outlook? Does marketo have some way of dealing with this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd really love the option to disable all "code clean up". It's more often the source of issues than the solution to problems in the context of coding HTML e-mails as there's a lot of code that's considered superfluous or incorrect by WYSIWYG editors but that's really necessary in order to have the widest array of e-mail clients render your e-mails correctly. The recent WYSIWYG upgrade, for instance, broke many of our templates, which rendered beautifully prior to the upgrade. The culprit was the new WYSIWYG editors clean up features. Thankfully we had the option to fall back to the last version of the WYSIWYG editor.

Similarly, I've been trying to apply a change to our templates to address the DPI issue in Outlook 2013. They work fine when tested in Litmus alone, but when applied to the WYSIWYG the code clean up feature appears to strip off portions of the code necessary to apply the fix properly. (Still have to do a bit of testing, but I'm fairly certain that's the source of the issue.)

Dan_Stevens_

Here's a more recent/active discussion on this topic: ​Re: Marketo Removing Code for Image Scaling for Outlook at 125%dpi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Much appreciated, Dan! I confirmed, not more than twenty minutes ago, that Marketo is stripping out that code. Didn't take long to test, so no harm done. Thanks for pointing out those existing threads. Looking forward to the fix.