Re: Removing Hard Bounces

Sophia_Sellars
Level 2

Removing Hard Bounces

I sent an email to a large list of people. The email stats says there were ~23,000 bounces.

I created a smart list for bounces ("email bounced") and soft bounces ("email bounced soft"), but the total only added up to about 12,000.

I want to remove all the hard bounces from our database, but I'm not sure the smart list is pulling all of the hard bounces in the smart list.

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sophia,

Start will "email invalid" filter. It will give you the whole list of hard bounces, whatever the email that caused it.

-Greg

Sophia_Sellars
Level 2

But that still doesn’t help me to understand why the hard bounces + soft bounces for an email don’t equal the total number of bounces.

Sophia Sellars | Digital Marketing Coordinator

National Association of Corporate Directors

Direct: 571-367-3688

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

I agree with you

Can you paste here a screenshot of your report ?

-Greg

Sophia_Sellars
Level 2

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Sophia,

The "email bounced" filter only gives you the hard bounced, while the dashboard gives your the total soft + hard.

If you use the "email soft bounce" filter on the same email, does it give you the difference ?

Of not, then it's  a case for support.

-Greg

Sophia_Sellars
Level 2

No, the soft bounce report is only an additional 10,000 names. So it doesn’t add up. I’ll submit to support.

Thanks,

Sophia Sellars | Digital Marketing Coordinator

National Association of Corporate Directors

Direct: 571-367-3688

Jasmine_Kyles
Level 5

Detailed info on the bounce categories (hard vs. soft) can be found here: Making sense of Marketo email bounce categories

I recommend creating smart lists to determine the types of email bounces that occurring in your database. Then you can best determine what to do with the bounced emails.