Re: Removing email address for "email invalid"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing email address for "email invalid"

While researching the ways to remove the "email invalids" from my database, I saw a discussion asking how to remove the email address for those leads that are marked  "email invalid."  I have a solution, but can't find the discussion string, so here's the answer:

1.  In "Marketing Activities" tab, create a smartlist with:  Email Invalid = True 
2.  Go to the leads tab and choose the "select all" button at the top (below the "Smartlist" tab).
3.  Click the "lead Action" button and choose "marketing activities" then "change data value."
4.  In the "Attribute" box,  search and choose "email address"
5.  Next to "New Value" type NULL (in all caps).

This will blank out the field for all selected leads. 

I'm also setting up a trigger campaign that automatically unchecks the "email Invalid" box once the email address is updated.  
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing email address for "email invalid"

Hi Sandy,

Is your objective to remove these leads from Marketo completely or just to clean up the email address field? Marketo will automatically exclude email invalids from being sent emails, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

You might want to also consider keeping those invalid email addresses that are only slightly invalid (eg. sandy b@gmail.com instead of sandyb@gmail.com) and those who also have a phone number.

Your opportunity here is for an outbound team to contact these leads and requalify their details, including email address. 

If you want to remove them from Marketo and not have them sync back from your CRM (to save on lead costs), you could create a boolean field called something like "Do Not Sync To Marketo", whereby you mark all leads you don't wish to sync with Marketo as True.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Greg