Re: Reduce the amount of leads/contacts synced from SFDC to Marketo

anissabrach
Level 2

Reduce the amount of leads/contacts synced from SFDC to Marketo

I inherited a Marketo instance and found out that they don't sync two thirds of our SFDC leads/contact to Marketo. Now, I'd love to sync all of it, but it will be too much of a cost.

Other than the usual exclusions (e.g. remove duplicates; don't sync if no email address; remove if hard bounced), has anyone got ideas on how we can restrict data flowing into Marketo sensibly? Maybe we can look at leads that got created before 2015 etc.

Would love to hear what others may have done.

3 REPLIES 3
Ruchi_Lapran1
Level 4

@anissabrach Here is one article you can go through https://nation.marketo.com/t5/knowledgebase/restrict-records-syncing-to-marketo-from-salesforce-usin...

The historical data (2015 or older), I believe most of them would already be synced. There is a need for a detailed analysis to understand how many are actually useful and should be synced. The remaining ones can be purged from both systems.

anissabrach
Level 2

I suppose I'm not after HOW you restrict the numbers. But what kind of restrictions people make, e.g. anyone without an email address makes sense to not sync. What other criteria do people use to not sync groups of leads/contact over?

Ruchi_Lapran1
Level 4

@anissabrach An empty email address is one scenario yes. Some of the Lead stages specific to sales cycles can also be restricted. For example when a person becomes sales accepted or sales qualified and when a marketing touch point is not needed until that lead is sent back by the sales rep themselves for further nurture process or retargeting.

Few additional examples where you can restrict the sync:

- Generally, leads are synced upon lead creation in SFDC but until all the required fields are not available, you don't need to sync them.

- Other than having a blank email address, there are junk data values in the required fields, they are invalid leads or they are opt-outs. Cleanup activity followed by data standardization should be done before syncing them in marketo.

- Do not sync when a record is existing with the same email address (duplicate records). Merging them can be planned instead.

- Some people also prefer to not sync their chosen prospects, partners or customers as they don't want them to go through the marketing or nurture process.

Basically, when a person is not matching the business need and required criteria for getting synced into Marketo, it should be restricted.