SOLVED

"Send Alert" Smart Campaign Module - Dynamically send email that triggered smart campaign to Seed List for Email Deliverability Tracking

Go to solution
adaydan1
Level 2

"Send Alert" Smart Campaign Module - Dynamically send email that triggered smart campaign to Seed List for Email Deliverability Tracking

I have a seed list of roughly 1000 email addresses that our email deliverability analytics service uses to measure our marketo email deliverability/spam/etc. I want to set up an automated system that when we push out a content blast, all members of this seed list get that email as well. 

The most basic, non-automated option is to manually add the seed list into the smart list for an email send (or create a secondary smart campaign just for emailing the seed list), however I want to limit the manual steps required here and prevent additional chances for human error.

The solution I came up with so far uses a smart campaign with the trigger "email is delivered" and as a constraint, I am using an "email contains" filter. The smart campaign contains a flow step "send alert" with a comma-delimited list of email addresses from the seed list listed to receive the alert. The campaign is set to only run once per hour.  As long as I have a unique string added to emails that we want monitored for deliverability and that string is also being queried in the smart list constraint, the smart campaign should fire when someone is delivered an email asset we want tracked, sends the email to the entire seed list, and then shuts off for an hour to prevent it from being triggered multiple times. 

The last piece I need to figure out is how to tell the flow step which email needs to be sent to the seed list. Since I'm using an "email is delivered" trigger here, I thought using the {{trigger.name}} token in the "send alert" flow step would work, but unfortunately it doesn't. Before I go back to the drawing board, I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestion on how to work around this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: "Send Alert" Smart Campaign Module - Dynamically send email that triggered smart campaign to Seed List for Email Deliverability Tracking

Alerts are sent from different IP addresses. So I question that this is the appropriate method to start with!

I would say there’s no method that both scales and eliminates human error unless you use the Marketo REST API. Using the Activity API, you could check which emails have gone out since the last check (grouping by the email asset) and then use Request Campaign to send to your seed list (you’ll need several calls to Request Campaign as your list is very large).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: "Send Alert" Smart Campaign Module - Dynamically send email that triggered smart campaign to Seed List for Email Deliverability Tracking

Alerts are sent from different IP addresses. So I question that this is the appropriate method to start with!

I would say there’s no method that both scales and eliminates human error unless you use the Marketo REST API. Using the Activity API, you could check which emails have gone out since the last check (grouping by the email asset) and then use Request Campaign to send to your seed list (you’ll need several calls to Request Campaign as your list is very large).