SOLVED

Re: "Clicks link on email" trigger on alert emails

Go to solution
denissemiranda
Level 2

"Clicks link on email" trigger on alert emails

Hello everyone. 

I am an advanced user of Marketo and I have used it for many situations for over 7 years. This time I am trying to use it for an internal process and I'd like to set up a trigger on an alert email, so the person that receives the alert email can click on an email and then "something happens" / flow starts that actually replies back to the lead that filled a form.

So far trying different ways I have not achieved it. Do you have any ideas how to achieve this? I'm happy to read work arounds. 

Thank you,

Denisse

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Would be good if you'd actually list the things you've tried!

But using Clicked Email as the trigger is definitely not what you want. Mail scanners click links. There's no reason to believe your own organization's mail security service won't do that.

You should use the "big button form" method. A page with a form but it's just a button. Everything else is hidden. To avoid other hacks, pass the email address in the URL and use it to fill a hidden field (standard autofill). Make sure the form doesn't pass the Munchkin cookie as a form field.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

Would be good if you'd actually list the things you've tried!

But using Clicked Email as the trigger is definitely not what you want. Mail scanners click links. There's no reason to believe your own organization's mail security service won't do that.

You should use the "big button form" method. A page with a form but it's just a button. Everything else is hidden. To avoid other hacks, pass the email address in the URL and use it to fill a hidden field (standard autofill). Make sure the form doesn't pass the Munchkin cookie as a form field.

denissemiranda
Level 2

I will definitively try this! thanks!

I tried with the available triggers but nothing connected the dots for what I wanted, the form seems to be the way to go. What I want to avoid is to have an alerted sales user to log in Marketo to trigger an action that could be automatic (standard reply). Since the process is internal and for a limited group I don't see any concerns of weird behaviors.

SanfordWhiteman

You should always be aware of non-human clicks. But of course the underlying reason you can’t use clicks here is that it’s an Alert.

denissemiranda
Level 2

I am happy to confirm that your solution worked. I added the email field to the URL and it smoothly adds it to the form in a reasonable way, I think making it even more user friendly than I was thinking originally.

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

Cool!