Re: Question for campaign flow

Henri_Froelich
Level 2

Question for campaign flow

We created a marketo form that lives on our website which requests email and country only.

When clicking form submit; This “flow” occurs:

• 1-Triggers Email 1 [of 3] is sent immediately
  • 2-Adds user to a list
  • 3-Adds user to an engagement program stream whose cadence sends another 2 product emails weekly

Question

• How can I make sure these particular leads do not receive any other emails from the Marketo CRM?
  • After completing the reception of the series of 3 emails, how can remove these leads from Marketo?[Unless they were already Opted-in through another lead generation campaign in which case the leads should stay in Marketo?
5 REPLIES 5
Carey_Picklesi7
Level 3

Hi Henry,

A few additional questions, will your form include any hidden fields, such Lead Source or other fields that will help you identify them? That will help. For the examples below, imagine that you use a field set "Lead Source = Web" + "Lead Source Details = Introductory Contact Form"

To prevent records from receiving other Marketo emails

• In your other email campaigns, set a filter in your smart list Lead Source Details is NOT Introductory Contact Form"

To remove records from Marketo after they complete all 3 emails and don't opt in

Are you sure you want to delete them or would it be better to turn them to Marketing Suspended which will prevent them from being emailed, but will keep them in your system? I would recommend Marketing Suspended to preserve their history.

Create a batch campaign that you set to recur daily or save to run manually at a time interval that makes sense (daily? weekly)

Smart list

1. Email is delivered = Email #3
  2. Opt-out = False

Flow steps

1. Change Data Value; "Marketing Suspended"; New Value= True
  2. Add to list "Received introductory emails and did not opt in"

if you really want to delete them, you can use the Flow Step - "Delete from Marketo".

Will these records also be in your CRM?

Henri_Froelich
Level 2

Carey,

Thanks for your reply.

There are no hidden fields currently but there can be.

Setting an exclusion filter in my other email campaigns is problematic in that there are too many active to sift through and alter, I’m trying to find a way to create an inclusion scenario for the specific “Introductory Contact form” campaign only.

Thank you for the Smart list and Flow for deletion, that feels straight forward. You bring up a good point in whether we actually do want to delete them from the CRM, perhaps, as you suggest, we can tag them as Marketing Suspended.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Setting an exclusion filter in my other email campaigns is problematic in that there are too many active to sift through and alter, I’m trying to find a way to create an inclusion scenario for the specific “Introductory Contact form” campaign only.

That's not possible as described, because you can't build custom exclusion logic that operates outside of visible Smart List rules. The system exclusions (for Blacklisted, Marketing Suspended, Unsubscribe) are all you have to draw on.

You could, in theory, mark and unmark this group as Marketing Suspended in-between sends. Be more than a bit clumsy.

Julie_Colwell1
Level 5

I would echo Carey Picklesimer​ comments if these people have opted in, but propose a question on why are you putting leads that have not opted in to your database into an engagement program? If they aren't opted into your database, you shouldn't be sending them any product emails. This is critical if you do business in the EU/Canada.

Henri_Froelich
Level 2

Julie,

Thanks for the reply.

The current disclaimer attributed to the form specifically states that the purpose of "signing up" to the email campaign associated with it is to receive a series of videos on a specific product only. The idea is to avoid those opt-ins from any other web site behavioral or other newsletter forms.

I am concerned about the GDPR sensitivity so want to be really specific in disclaiming exactly what the potential sign up receives.