Re: Puzzle: One-token-fits-all for how a consumer subscribed

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Puzzle: One-token-fits-all for how a consumer subscribed

Got a puzzle for the community!

I want to put some information about how a consumer subscribed in our email footers. We have this information going forward in a Marketo field, but we won't have this retroactively. So ideally, the full sentence would read something like this:

1) For those with this field filled in: You received this email at {{lead.Email Address}} because you subscribed to Company X at the (event, contest etc).

2) For those without this field filled in: You received this email at {{lead.Email Address}} because you subscribed to Company X emails.

But this is really tricky to do just by utilising one field, since you normally need the words "at"or "the" before it. For example, if you have the token as follows:

{{lead.Subscription Reason:default=emails}}

Then the two variants become:

1. You received this email at {{lead.Email Address}} because you subscribed to Company X at the (event, contest etc). Good!

2. You received this email at {{lead.Email Address}} because you subscribed to Company X at the emails. Bad!

But if you remove the words "at the", then it doesn't work for the first variant.

The best I've come up with that sort of straddles this line is:

You received this email at {{lead.Email Address}} because at (lead.Subscription Reason:default=some time)) you subscribed to G Adventures emails.

Anyone have any improvements on this?

(And yes, I know I could run smart campaigns to populate another field, populate it retrospectively, or use email scripting to solve this, but triggered campaigns seem inefficient, and we use dynamic emails so scripting is out).

Thanks!

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi all

I managed to think of a good workaround for this - a Marketo formula field!

Here's the how rules look:

Choice 1:

If (where they subscribed field) is not empty:

You received this email at {{lead.Email Address}} because you subscribed to Company X emails via the {{lead.Subscription History Referral Detail}}.

Default Choice:

You received this email at {{lead.Email Address}} because you subscribed to Company X emails.

Drop the field in an email and away we go. Elegant and no extra smart campaigns required!

I hope this helps someone somewhere!

Phil

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

You could use segmentations for this by including a dynamic area in your email template that varies based on how they signed up.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Simple to do, bud....

http://www.example.com/page.html?event={{my.event-name}}

{{my.event-name}}

--If there is none, then put -NA-

Page has a simple form: "Yes, please subscribe me to Company X" 

--Yes

--No

Hidden Field: Subscription Reason: Get Value from URL Parameter "event"

Workflow: Subscribed At Event

Trigger:

--Fills out form "Subscription"

Flow

--Change Data Value:

---Add Choice: Subscription Reason: Not Contains -NA-

----Subscription Reason:

------"at {{lead.Subscription Reason}}"

---Add Choice: Subscription Reason: Contains -NA-

----Subscription Reason:

------NULL

Compose your email:

You received this email at {{lead.Email Address}} because you subscribed to Company X {{lead.Subscription Reason}}.

Robb Barrett