Programs nested inside of engagement programs: is my logic accurate?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Programs nested inside of engagement programs: is my logic accurate?

I want to transition to using programs instead of emails in my engagement programs, so that I can skip over a piece of content if the user has already received it.

Can someone provide an example of what that smart campaign inside of the program would look like?

Is it really as simple as:

Smartlist:
1 - Member of engagement program=true
Flow:
1 - Send Email
Choice 1: If Was Sent Email is "Content A email"; Email: - Do Nothing - 
Choice 2: If Filled out form is "Content A form"; Email: - Do Nothing -
Default Choice: Email: "Content A email"

???
And am I correct that the user experience, if Choice 1 or 2 applies, is that they will not receive any email at all for that cast, but will receive the next piece of content in the stream for the next cast?
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Programs nested inside of engagement programs: is my logic accurate?

Yes, this is correct. This must be an unactivated Batch campaign
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Programs nested inside of engagement programs: is my logic accurate?

Hi Joanna, the smartlist you've described is correct -- although I would also define the engagement program you want someone to be a member of.

As far as the flow step, we have set our programs up slightly differently using an "exclusion" status. Based on your flow, I can't be certain, but a person might get stuck in a never-ending cycle if they have already been sent Content A email or filled out Content A form. The logic is this: every cast, a person is eligible for the next program of which they aren't a member. If they hit the -Do Nothing- step, then they don't become a member of the program and they don't receive an email. Next cast, they're still not a member of the program, so they look to enter that program again. Thus, the never-ending cycle. 

While I could be incorrect in my interpretation of what happens above, I can tell you that having an exclusion program status definitely works! You use a new program status to make a person a member as soon as they receive Content A Email or fillout Content A form, and then at the point of the next cast they are already a member of the program so they move onto the very next program. Even if they properly skipped programs above, they'd definitely have a cast where no content was received, which probably isn't ideal. 

There are several other threads set up discussing the exclusion status, as well as Edward Unthank's presentation from Summit 2014, so hopefully this will point you in the right direction!