Re: Problem with AdWords URL

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with AdWords URL

Google Adwords won't accept Marketo's "?leadsource=" parameter, but I'd like to update the field to say "PPC", in addition to the rest of the hidden field which I've created as per the Marketo instructions.

BONUS question:

-I am trying to trigger a separate smart campaign within my Google Adwords program based on the form submission. How do you trigger specifically off the adwords referral?

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Naor,

Are you just looking to edit the field names?  What values are you looking to store from your Google Adwords referral?  

For smart campaigns, could you elaborate a bit more on what the trigger is supposed to do?  I want to understand if it should be one or multiple campaigns.

Cheers,
Michael
Anonymous
Not applicable

When we setup the links in AdWords, we include campaign ID (e.g. SFDC campaign ID) and source code (e.g. PPC) querystring parameters, that set cookie values that we can then read into hidden fields on our forms.  You will need some javascript set up on your website to do this.  Read the Marketo help article for informtation about doing this Capturing Search Engine and PPC info on Landing Pages.

You can use the unique campaign ID that you set in the Campaign ID field on the lead record and/or a unique landing page visited to trigger your smart campaign.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Naor,

There is additional information posted in this article on how to set the source to PPC: Linking a Google AdWords Ad to a Marketo Landing Page with a Form

Thanks,
Ei-Mang
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, Ei-Mang - this is a gold mine of information.  Thanks so much!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the tips. Yeah I did use that link specifically to setup my hidden fields, Ei-Mang. I am passing all those variables into the fields, but was having an issue with our LEAD SOURCE hidden field.

Elliott brings up a good point that I can just use one of the variables from AdWords' URL to change my Lead Source if necessary.

Basically I am trying to utilize the landing page already existing in my Whitepaper's program to collect adwords data, and further allow a separate Adwords Program to be notified of the "SUCCESS".

Let me try a few things.