Previewed vs. Opened Emails

George_Gulu
Level 1

Previewed vs. Opened Emails

Does Marketo recognize a previewed email as an "opened" email?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Previewed vs. Opened Emails

When you say previewed, are you referring to the preview pane in email clients like Outlook?

Marketo's open rate tracking is based on a tracking image that loads when the email is opened, but many clients block images as a security precaution. Depending on the individual email client and the security settings, an open may or may not register from the preview pane. This is why it's generally advisable to not rely too much on the open rate statistics, as they are never 100% accurate (this is true for any email marketing tool, not just Marketo)

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I agree wtih Jeff.

Someone could use Preview with or w/o images on, so this is not reliable or helpful. You want engagement like CTR.
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I agree with Jeff and Josh that open rates are not 100% reliable, i think you can still gain some insight from a quick analysis--especially comparing your campaigns against themselves independent of your A/B testing.  After all, people generally don't change their image control status on a day-to-day or message-to-message basis.  The same ones that blocked your images yesterday likely blocked them today, and will probably block them tomorrow.   If your open rates change using the same list,  your text, subject line and/or image tags are having a strong influence on that change--its probably worth poking around a bit to see what the differece might be. 

--If you are seeing a slow but steady improvement in open rates (and aren't varying your list or image content), then your trust-level is probably growing as people click "Always Display Images from this Sender".
--You can check some of your higher-performing messages--see if they have  subject lines and/or image tags that are enticing  readers to click that "display images" link.   
--Similary, don't panic if you have a low open rate for a particular message--look to see if its mostly text. If there are no images to see, it won't be reported as having been opened--people just read the text in their preview pane.
--You might also test readership engagement  by sending a mostly-image message--something were someone would have to click "display images" if they wanted to actually see what you had to say.   

The one thing i wouldn't do is compare your open rate to someone mailing to a different list.