SOLVED

Re: Preventing Demo Score Reset from Re-AQLing a lead

Go to solution
Luben_Solev1
Level 2

Preventing Demo Score Reset from Re-AQLing a lead

Hi all,

I have a conundrum that I hope you guys can help with.

We have demographic score rest as discussed on this page:
https://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/demographic-rescoring-marketo-2726/

We have an AQL threshold of 100 points with 40 made up of Demo and 60 made up of Behaviour.

We've noticed that some of our Leads are re-AQLing when their Demo score gets re-calculated due to a change in one of their Demo fields.

Let me give you an example:

1) We have a lead with a PErson Score of 120 points, 40 of which is demo and the other 80 is Behaviour
2) One of the Demo field values changes, so he is pulled into our Demo re-calculation programme
3) This programme, sets the person score to be the Behaviour score, so that it can then gradually add the necessary Demo scores back up.
4) By doing this, the Lead drops to below the AQL threshold, as it is now at 80 points
5) As the programme adds the demo score back, the person goes back over the AQL threshold of 100 points, thus triggering notifications to Sales of a new AQL lead.
6) Sales are confused as this person has not done anything new to warrant re-AQLing

I'm using Marketo integrated with SFDC.  Re-Routing and some notifications are done by LeanData.

Have any of you struggled with this issue and come up with a solution? I can't seem to figure out a workaround for Marketo's limitation of having to downgrade the Person Score before recalculating and re-adding the new Demo score to it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Luben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Hmm Complicated!! I thought the notifications are being sent from Marketo only.

I haven't used LeanData but can we change the rules in LeanData to send alert based on some other field instead of score? Just thinking out loud here. What if you create a custom field in SFDC called "Re-rout lead" and manage this field from Marketo in following way:

• Update the value to "True", for a lead which is getting the total score over 100 but, it's not due to the re-calculation.
  • You can suppress the false AQLs from getting "re-rout" updated to True by using a smart list constraint in the change data value flow step. This smart list will check all the leads which had 100 or more score previously and it's update below 100. And again the score was updated back to at least 100. If both of these actions happened today itself, do not update the "Re-Rout Lead" flag. The smart list will look like below:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 1.02.29 AM.png
  • Once the lead "re-rout" is done, update "Re-Rout Lead" flag to false. This can be done in SFDC easily otherwise create a trigger campaign in Marketo which will run on the lead owner change and update "Re-Rout Lead" flag to false only if it's true.

Not sure if this will entirely fit into the solution here but let me know what you think.

Regards,
Amit

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Amit_Jain

Hi Luben Solev‌,

Though you have explained this pretty well and I understand your issue but I'll need some more details from your end.

1. How do you managing the lead status AQL currently? Do you manage this as a lead status? Is this through a separet smart campaign which triggers upon lead score changes and update the lead status to AQL?
  2. How do you manage your alerts? Is it based on the lead score change or lead status change?

I have a few thoughts in my mind but would be able to suggest something once I have your reponse on the above.

Regards,
Amit

Luben_Solev1
Level 2

Thanks for the reply Amit Jain‌.  Much appreciated.

AQLs are set when a lead goes over 100 points in a separate smart campaign.  The notifications are sent by a combination of two systems:

Marketo sends notifications when someone Instantly AQLs when they complete a Contact/Demo/Price request form, whilst LeadData sends notifications for when people's score goes over 100 points.

Luben

Amit_Jain

Hi Luben Solev,

Thanks for providing more details. So, the issue here is that you have a separate smart campaign which triggers upon lead status changes and send out the alert.

So right now, the lead status management campaigns can run side by side of the lead scoring campaigns, what if we make these two synchronous. By that I mean, ideally, if you are re-calculating your score, your lead status should be re-calculated only after your lead scoring campaign finish execution.

What I would suggest is this:

1. Request your lead status management smart campaign from the lead scoring after the last scoring flow action.
  2. Create a separate smart campaign to send the alerts upon lead status changes to AOL.

Let's see how this will work with your example above:

1. Have a lead with a Person Score of 120 points, 40 of which is demo and the other 80 is Behavior
  2. One of the Demo field values changes, so he is pulled into our Demo re-calculation program
  3. This program, sets the person score to be the Behavior score, so that it can then gradually add the necessary Demo scores back up.
  4. By doing this, the Lead drops to below the AQL threshold, as it is now at 80 points. (But at this stage, the lead status will remain as is as we will start re-calculating the lead status once we finish the scoring)
  5. The lead scoring program adds the demo score back, and now the person score is 130. The person goes back over the AQL threshold of 100 points (but it will not trigger the alert yet because we haven't yet updated the lead status to AQL)
  6. After finishing the Scoring, we started re-calculating the lead status. According the the score the status should be now AQL but since it's already AQL, there will be no actual change in the status and there will be no "Change Lead Status" activity logged.
  7. Now this separate smart campaign that we setup for alert, will see no change in the lead status and hence will not send any alert email again.

Hope this will work but please let me know in case you have any question.

Regards,

Amit

Luben_Solev1
Level 2

Thanks for your response Amit Jain and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

We have a lot of different smart campaigns & programmes in our system that look after vairus parts of the process.  We have a set of smart campaigns for the scoring, another set (within a programme) for the lifecycle.

Then all leads are automatically shared with SFDC (full sync), but upon entry into SFDC, they are routed by LEanData.  LEanData also listens out for the person score going over 99 points to try to re-route them and send some notifications.  And this is where the problem hits.  Because when we re-score the demo scores, the value for leads with a person score of between about 55 and 100 points will drop from over 100 to under 100 and will then will go up again ,which will in turn lead for the lead to be re-routed and for notifications to be sent.  That is our issue.

So, I've been thinking about this and can't come up with a solution.  It's driving me up the wall really.

Amit_Jain

Hmm Complicated!! I thought the notifications are being sent from Marketo only.

I haven't used LeanData but can we change the rules in LeanData to send alert based on some other field instead of score? Just thinking out loud here. What if you create a custom field in SFDC called "Re-rout lead" and manage this field from Marketo in following way:

• Update the value to "True", for a lead which is getting the total score over 100 but, it's not due to the re-calculation.
  • You can suppress the false AQLs from getting "re-rout" updated to True by using a smart list constraint in the change data value flow step. This smart list will check all the leads which had 100 or more score previously and it's update below 100. And again the score was updated back to at least 100. If both of these actions happened today itself, do not update the "Re-Rout Lead" flag. The smart list will look like below:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 1.02.29 AM.png
  • Once the lead "re-rout" is done, update "Re-Rout Lead" flag to false. This can be done in SFDC easily otherwise create a trigger campaign in Marketo which will run on the lead owner change and update "Re-Rout Lead" flag to false only if it's true.

Not sure if this will entirely fit into the solution here but let me know what you think.

Regards,
Amit

Luben_Solev1
Level 2

This is brilliant Amit Jain‌.  Thank you so much.  I knew it was possible, but unfortunately I could not get my head around how to do it.

Two questions though.

Would it be better to use the "Date of Activity" step value of "In the past" & "1 day" instead of "In time frame" & "Today"?  I'm just thinking that the former would give a rolling 24h window, whilst the latter is just looking at "today", so if the re-scoring for the particular lead happened to fall just on the cusp of midnight, they could not get pulled into the list.  Or am I making an issue where there isn't one?

Socondly, you seem to be using both "At least 100" and "greater than 99".  To me both of these seem identical.  Are they identical as far as Marketo is concerned?

Thanks again for all of your help and have a good day.

Amit_Jain

Hi Luben,

Good questions! I didn't thought about the mid night thing earlier. Below are answers to your questions:

1. I think it will not either work with "Today" and "In the Past" & "1 Day", you should use "In the past" & "24 Hours". Try this and keep an eye for a week at least and see how it goes.
  2. You can use either of these "At least 100" or "greater than 99", both are same.

Regards,
Amit

Luben_Solev1
Level 2

Thanks Amit Jain‌.  That was of great help to me.  All the best!

Amit_Jain

Anytime Luben!