SOLVED

Prevent lead from synching to SF

Go to solution
Nurture_Ninja
Level 4

Prevent lead from synching to SF

Hello

I wan to set up a trigger campaign that checks the score of leads and if the score is very low (below 1), then prevent them from synching to SFDC. I could not find a suitable filter to achieve this under Flow. Any thoughts? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Heloise_Briere1
Level 2

Re: Prevent lead from synching to SF

Hi @Nurture_Ninja ,

I agree with @Jo_Pitts1, it would be preferable to prevent syncing a net new record to SFDC vs. stopping an existing record to sync. Both are doable, but stopping an existing record that is already synced to sync can bring some complexity down the road.

To prevent a net new record in Marketo from syncing to Salesforce, we would need to understand how the records are currently pushed to SFDC:

• Do you have a centralized SFDC sync program in place? (best practice/recommended)
  • Are you using the flow steps like Sync to SFDC or Add to a SFDC Campaign in one (or many) of your Marketo programs?
  • Are you syncing your Marketo Program to SFDC campaign at the program level?

If you use the SFDC-related flow steps but don't have a centralized program in place, I would recommend creating one to gain more control over who is pushed to SFDC or not from Marketo - that would require you to also audit existing programs that use SFDC flow steps to make sure they don't interfere with the centralized SFDC Sync program you create.

Trigger(s) to activate this centralized SFDC Sync program can vary on your other operational programs in place, and your business requirements to choose to sync a record from Marketo to SFDC.

In your case, it seems that there would be some dependencies between your Lead Scoring program and this centralized SFDC Sync program: From your Lead Scoring program, one of the solutions (there might be another one, depending on how your program is set up) could be to drop people into a static list when people are ready to sync to SFDC (reached a specific score threshold) and have the "added to list" trigger on the SFDC Sync program side. The static list approach is preferred because it is in the long run more efficient and scalable than a request campaign or executable campaign - but that could be part of another post ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

What I've seen most commonly is that Lead Scoring is related to a Lead Status/Lead Lifecycle program, and this Lead Status/Lead Lifecycle program dictates if a record is ready to be pushed to SFDC or not. 

If you have an existing record that is already synced and want to stop the sync, then you'll have to look into a custom sync between Marketo and SFDC, which is a bit more complex solution, especially if you want the record to re-sync to SFDC when they are ready/when score reaches a threshold: that requires some actions to be taken on both the Marketo side (enable a custom sync filter by Marketo Support) and the Salesforce side (flow builder) to stop syncing the record from Marketo to SFDC. 

I  hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Heloise Briere

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Nurture_Ninja ,

you've got to think about this 'the other way around'.

Rather than stopping people from getting synched, you need to manually control who does get synched.

It sounds like you have implicit sync turned on.  You'll want to turn that off.  This syncs every record.

Then you'll need to have a triggered campaign that syncs records when they reach the appropriate criteria.  I'd do this with a triggered campaign triggered on the score being at least 1.  Then have a flow step that does the sync to SFDC.  Once someone is synced, you don't need to tell Marketo to keep syncing them, so they'll stay updated from that point on.

Set the triggered campaign to only allow them to enter once, .  This is so that if you try to sync a record that is already synced, it throws an error that'll mess up your logs.

Is there ever a chance that someone could be created with a score of at least one?

Cheers

Jo

Heloise_Briere1
Level 2

Hi @Nurture_Ninja ,

I agree with @Jo_Pitts1, it would be preferable to prevent syncing a net new record to SFDC vs. stopping an existing record to sync. Both are doable, but stopping an existing record that is already synced to sync can bring some complexity down the road.

To prevent a net new record in Marketo from syncing to Salesforce, we would need to understand how the records are currently pushed to SFDC:

• Do you have a centralized SFDC sync program in place? (best practice/recommended)
  • Are you using the flow steps like Sync to SFDC or Add to a SFDC Campaign in one (or many) of your Marketo programs?
  • Are you syncing your Marketo Program to SFDC campaign at the program level?

If you use the SFDC-related flow steps but don't have a centralized program in place, I would recommend creating one to gain more control over who is pushed to SFDC or not from Marketo - that would require you to also audit existing programs that use SFDC flow steps to make sure they don't interfere with the centralized SFDC Sync program you create.

Trigger(s) to activate this centralized SFDC Sync program can vary on your other operational programs in place, and your business requirements to choose to sync a record from Marketo to SFDC.

In your case, it seems that there would be some dependencies between your Lead Scoring program and this centralized SFDC Sync program: From your Lead Scoring program, one of the solutions (there might be another one, depending on how your program is set up) could be to drop people into a static list when people are ready to sync to SFDC (reached a specific score threshold) and have the "added to list" trigger on the SFDC Sync program side. The static list approach is preferred because it is in the long run more efficient and scalable than a request campaign or executable campaign - but that could be part of another post ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

What I've seen most commonly is that Lead Scoring is related to a Lead Status/Lead Lifecycle program, and this Lead Status/Lead Lifecycle program dictates if a record is ready to be pushed to SFDC or not. 

If you have an existing record that is already synced and want to stop the sync, then you'll have to look into a custom sync between Marketo and SFDC, which is a bit more complex solution, especially if you want the record to re-sync to SFDC when they are ready/when score reaches a threshold: that requires some actions to be taken on both the Marketo side (enable a custom sync filter by Marketo Support) and the Salesforce side (flow builder) to stop syncing the record from Marketo to SFDC. 

I  hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Heloise Briere