SOLVED

Re: Placing unique ID into token in order to access non-Marketo LP

Go to solution
Fethi_Erimcag
Level 2

Placing unique ID into token in order to access non-Marketo LP

Hi,

Is it possible to include a unique identifier (such as an ID token for example) in my "attend webinar" CTA in my Marketo email which will be sent to the people who registered using a Marketo Form? The webinar however will not be held on a Marketo Landing Page therefore I was hoping to use the unique token in the URL, so that on the landing page they can make sure only people arriving with a unique identifier can view the webinar, while people arriving to the url webinar without a unique identifier would see a different page. 

Is this doable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Munchkin doesn't directly matter. You do not get a Munchkin cookie until the page is rendered and this will work with only the mkt_tok identifier (automatically added to a tracked link).

Of course Munchkin is useful for recording additional session activity.

If you want to use the KV HTML to control conditional content, put JS in the KV HTML to switch a class on the <body> tag. Don't use the KV HTML container itself to display the main body of the page, that will be very, very difficult to manage.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

You seem to be using "unique" in two different ways.

Yes, you can add the token {{lead.Id}} to whatever URLs you want, as a a query parameter or as the #hash if you want. It represents the ID — unique within Marketo — of the lead record.

But you will not know, on your non-Marketo LP, whether that ID has any validity at all, only whether the string value exists in the URL. If that's sufficient for your needs, then go for it.

Fethi_Erimcag
Level 2

Thank you for that swift reply. 

Yes, indeed we are looking for the ID's existence within the URL, to make sure that the person does indeed have a unique Marketo ID. 

When you say add the token {{lead.Id}} as a query parameter or as the #hash - what is the exact procedure? 

I set up a Text type token, named {{my.Token}} and added {{lead.Id}} as it's value (saved it). Then in my email edit, I have placed the token after my webinar site as such: (using bbc as example)

www.bbc.com/{{my.Token}} 

I am not sure if this is the correct way to implement. 

Token value.JPGcta to token.JPG

SanfordWhiteman

You can't nest tokens like that.

Nor do you need a {{my.token}}.  You may insert the {{lead.id}}, since it's an Integer, directly into any URL.

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Another option: you could use the "If Known Visitor:" option on the form to show custom HTML if the person is known. If they are not known, you could ask them to register and go down a different flow. 

This is assuming you have the Munchkin tracking code activated on the page. 

Not exactly what you are asking but it might be an option. As Sanford mentioned, you can see whether that field has a value, but you can't check it against Marketo for validity without an API call during form submission, which is a bit more complicated. 

SanfordWhiteman

I actually left out the Known Visitor HTML option deliberately, since it wasn't clear that the person might not have an associated Munchkin session in either case. Only that they would not have identifiable data in this particular URL.

but you can't check it against Marketo for validity without an API call during form submission

Good heavens, what a DoS nightmare.

(You don't actually need to use the API though, if you did go down that road.)

Fethi_Erimcag
Level 2

If I understand correctly - If we are using a Marketo form to register people and sending them an email at a later date to attend the webinar, they can click the CTA in my email to take them to a non-Marketo webinar page which would include our munchkin code and would pick up on the Known Visitor HTML. In that case we can display the webinar page to the known people and display another version of the page to the unknown people.

Is my understanding correct?

SanfordWhiteman

Munchkin doesn't directly matter. You do not get a Munchkin cookie until the page is rendered and this will work with only the mkt_tok identifier (automatically added to a tracked link).

Of course Munchkin is useful for recording additional session activity.

If you want to use the KV HTML to control conditional content, put JS in the KV HTML to switch a class on the <body> tag. Don't use the KV HTML container itself to display the main body of the page, that will be very, very difficult to manage.