Re: Performance after migrating to Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Performance after migrating to Marketo

Has anyone experienced worse email performance after migrating to Marketo? We switched providers about 6 months ago and our email open and click rates have gone way down. We were at about 15% open and dropped to about 10% open on average. And clicks have gone to >1% to <1% on average. 

We are comparing identical emails here. The only difference is the sending provider. Any thoughts on why performance dropped so much?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
James_Glavin
Level 5

We're only just migrating to Marketo, so I don't yet have any data I can draw on, but one thing I would suggest, though, is that you make sure that you're comparing like with like. Our previous marketing platform (Click Dimensions) calculated click rate in a very different way* to many other platforms (including Marketo), which meant our click rate was inflated. I am planning to be careful to 'translate' our historical data to make sure that I can get a meaningful picture of how performance compares under Marketo. This may not be what's causing your issue, but it might be worth eliminating that as a possibility.

James

* if a user clicks on two separate links in a single email, Click Dimensions counts this as two unique clicks, whereas for most other email marketing providers, click rate is the number of unique users who have clicked one or more links in an email.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks James. I've researched and compared the definitions of Open/Click rate between our previous ESP and Marketo and they are pretty much identical. But that was my first thought...
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Jesse,

Usually people see better performance because the implementation process helps clean up parts of the list.

Can you verify if you have SPF/DKIM installed on your instance?

Has your overall deliverability changed? What are the other stats?