Re: Pass Hidden Value from Existing Lead to New Lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pass Hidden Value from Existing Lead to New Lead

In summary we are trying to pass a field value for one lead to a new lead using a hidden field and URL parameters.

As an example we have our internal system creating leads in Marketo for new orders that come through our system. That lead is created with the email address we have in our internal system and their order number is put in a custom field. We then send that lead an email offering them a free t-shirt. If they want a shirt they fill out a form with their contact details. Oftentimes these people are using a different email address than we had in our internal system, so it is creating a new lead without the order number.

So our goal is to get that same order number on the new lead. We put a URL parameter for the order number in the t-shirt offer email and then a hidden field in the t-shirt request form that grabs the order number. Our thought was even if they put in a new email address which creates a new lead, the same order number would be passed to the new lead because it's in the hidden field. However that's not the case. The new lead is being created without the order number even though we can confirm the URL parameter is working.

My only thought is Marketo isn't passing the order number to the new lead because it thinks it should only be associated with the first lead. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case or know if there is any other way to get this order number field to the new lead?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So your hidden field is looking for a parameter in the url? You are saying that you have that token in the email like but that it is not actually parsing into the hidden field? This should work as described. Check to make sure you have the parameter labeled correctly with the same capitalization.

Can you show me how you have the url setup and the hidden field settings? 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your prompt reply! As far as I can tell the token from the URL is parsing in to the hidden field, but if they put a new email address in to the form, the value parsed in to the hidden field is not being added to the new lead's info in Marketo.

The URL I'm using from the URL builder is http://ww2.digicert.com/example123.html?order_num=
And here's a screenshot of the hidden field settings:
0EM50000000RUn2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in the email where you are sending the link you have it set-up like: 
http://ww2.digicert.com/example123.html?order_num={e.g Order Number}

This is taking them to a page like:
http://ww2.digicert.com/example123.html?order_num=12345

When you are on that page with the order number populated: 
You are looking at the source code for the page the Order Number field is being populated with 12345

Are all of the above true? 

If yes, then you are saying the problem is once you change your email address in the form and view the source code none of the hidden field values are populated? Or only the order number? 

Sorry for all the questions just trying to make sure I fully understand the scenario. 

- Jeff

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem, thanks again for the help!

Yes, all the above are true. When I go to the page and view the source code, you can see that Marketo is pulling the Order Number out of the URL and putting it in the head of the page. The Order Number is not disappearing from the source code when you change the email address in the form, but since changing the email address will create a new lead, Marketo just doesn't seem to pass the Order Number's value to the new lead.

Thanks, I hope that answers your questions.