SOLVED

Re: Outlook Add-In Alternatives

Go to solution
Nora_Slattery3
Level 4

Outlook Add-In Alternatives

Hi Guys!

I've now been following-up on the Outlook add-in for 2013 for quite some time (as have my clients!) and the lack of support has become quite a problem.

Are there any alternatives/workarounds that we can use for Outlook 2013 or Outlook for Mac?

Warm regards,
Nora
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is more information about this in the Outlook Plugin for Outlook for Mac 2011 Idea.  Marketo product management is aware of this request, but there is no plan to implement it at this point.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the best of my knowledge there is no plan to build a plugin for Outlook for Mac.

Just to avoid any false impression of deflection, I am Mac OS X, Linux, BSD Unix and Oracle/Sun Solaris user. 

The plugin for Outlook 2010 is unlikely to work smoothly for Outlook 2013 due deep changes introduced: 
Unlike traditional COM Add-ins, apps don’t require that you install or update a DLL on the user’s computer. When a mail app is initialized by the user, the mail app uses the apps for Office JavaScript object model to provide contextual information about the selected message in the Outlook rich client and Outlook Web App. Your app runs on your web server and any changes you make in your web content will be immediately reflected in your app running on an Outlook client.
--- end of quote

Testing on a spare computer or virtual machine would cause no harm to live installations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know when Marketo will have a plug-in for 2013?
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is more information about this in the Outlook Plugin for Outlook for Mac 2011 Idea.  Marketo product management is aware of this request, but there is no plan to implement it at this point.
Nora_Slattery3
Level 4

All I can suggest is that as many people as possible keep clicking on those ideas and hope we can push this through in a timely manner!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently, Outlook 2011 doesn't support any kind of Plug-In architecture. Marketo can't really make something that plugs in to a connection point that doesn't yet exist. There's a thread on Microsoft's site about this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macoutlook/list-of-outlook-for-mac-add-in...

The suggestion at the bottom is:

"Be sure to let Microsoft you would like to see these features added by sending them feedback (via the Send Feedback command in Outlook’s Help menu)

The more reports they get the higher it gets on the list to be fixed or added.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback"