Re: Organic lead source problem - main referrer is our own site

Anonymous
Not applicable

Organic lead source problem - main referrer is our own site

I'm trying to understand why the Original Referrer field is showing our own website, and our 2 subdomains (marketo pages and blog) as our original referrer. Out of 2300 leads created the past 3 months about 2100 have our own website listed as the original referrer. I just inherited this instance of Marketo, so I don't know where I should be looking to try to fix this problem. Does anyone else have this issue? Or can you provide me with some clues on what could possibly be causing this? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

There might be an issue with your munchkin configuration.  Could you share an example URL that's showing as an entry page?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, here is a screen shot which includes the referrer links i'm seeing.

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 9.04.34 PM.png

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi John,

In addition to Kenny's request,

What is the navigation path of these leads ?

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greg, I'm not quite sure. Since they converted as leads at some point they do make their way to a marketo landing page from our main site. The majority probably go directly from our front page or a secondary page to one of our marketo pages.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi John,

You should check the munchkin code is working on you web site pages. If it's not, then when leads arrive on your Marketo landing pages from your web site, then the perceived referrer is your web site...

Create smart lists using the "visited web page" filter and filter on you web site pages, and include anonymous (is anonymous = true) as well as known leads (is anonymous = false) and check you find some.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greg you appear to be correct. I tried creating a smart list and it showed my homepage as being an 'invalid value for webpage'. I find it a little strange that if I go to a lead record and look at activity that leads are being tracked on where they go there and are scored accordingly. But when I try to create a smart list of 'visited web page' the picklist does not populate with any of our website pages. I will look into the munchkin code and see if the issue is there.

Thanks!

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran another smart list with another webpage on our site and I was able to see a list of leads... so now i'm even more confused lol

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi John,

Are you using a CMS or is the site a custom dev ?

Have you been deploying the munchkin directly in the pages ? In templates ? using Google Tag Manager ?

It might be that the munchkin code works correctly on some pages and not on others.

-Greg