SOLVED

Open Tracking Pixel and Accessibility

Go to solution
jessbib1
Level 1

Open Tracking Pixel and Accessibility

Marketo uses a tracking pixel to register email opens. This pixel is being picked up by screen readers as an indiscernible link. I would like to know if there is a way to hide the pixel from screen readers without disabling open tracking.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Open Tracking Pixel and Accessibility

Well, I don't think you can do anything such as hide links from email scanners or mask tracking pixels, as even if you do so and the platform somehow sends an email masking the tracking pixels or links from the scanners, then the scanners will evolve to still check emails (and click-through) the links. Also, if this proves possible, then mail scanners as a whole are useless. The major purpose of email scanners is to check the links and email content for spam or suspicious content. The fundamental idea behind a mail scanner is to mimic human behavior seamlessly. Any detectable deviation indicates a flaw.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Well, I don't think you can do anything such as hide links from email scanners or mask tracking pixels, as even if you do so and the platform somehow sends an email masking the tracking pixels or links from the scanners, then the scanners will evolve to still check emails (and click-through) the links. Also, if this proves possible, then mail scanners as a whole are useless. The major purpose of email scanners is to check the links and email content for spam or suspicious content. The fundamental idea behind a mail scanner is to mimic human behavior seamlessly. Any detectable deviation indicates a flaw.

jessbib1
Level 1

Thanks for the response.

I should clarify my intention. I don't want to hide the link from security scanners. Rather, I'm looking for a way to hide it from screen readers used by people who have visual impairments, similar to the way in which tables can be hidden by adding an attribute such as:

aria-hidden="true"

Perhaps, though, the impact would be the same. Either way, it seems as though it's not possible anyway.