SOLVED

New to Marketo - Best Practices for Daily & Weekly Newsletters?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to Marketo - Best Practices for Daily & Weekly Newsletters?

Hello,

Thanks for looking. I'm with a news company.

My question is - I'm unclear if I should use an engagement program, an email newsletter program, or ?? for our scheduled newsletters?

Here's what we send on a regular basis:

Breaking News - Ad Hoc emails with different content each time (but pulled from a single "breaking" feed which updates).

Daily - Again, content pulled from a single feed, but this is sent automatically everyday at 6am.

Weekly - Same as above, but weekly.

Marketing/Advertising emails - We send these ad hoc emails to our customers on behalf of advertisers.

How would you recommend I setup our newsletters? We've not created the RSS feeds yet (planning to use Digesto), but these newsletters are all the same template, just with new content swapped at the time of the send. How would I best setup the programs since there is no real - nurturing for these lists, but the email they receive is technically a different email each day/week/alert.

And if we use email programs - how do I manage when one user is a member of multiple programs i.e. the person receives our breaking news alerts and our weekly news?

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: New to Marketo - Best Practices for Daily & Weekly Newsletters?

Hi Issa,

Since you will be using Digesto, no engagement program is required. Further more, EPs are good for content that do not change so often. In your case, you absolutely need to use a automated tool to generate email content, which excludes EPs.

In Digesto, you will need to provide the feed, so you need to have one feed for each of your email scheduling period (daily, weekly). Breaking news will be harder, as Digesto does not enable to be triggered on events. You could use the same email in Marketo for daily and weekly, but I recommend you set it up with 2 distinct emails, on the same template, so that if you need to differentiate the text, you can easily.

Your program will need one smart campaign for each of the feed if daily subscribers are different from weekly subscribers.

For your breaking news, this is a different story. Using email programs might be a good choice. Prepare it, make it look good and use tokens for the news itself, so that you can clone it and send it in minutes.

-Greg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Issa,

Since you will be using Digesto, no engagement program is required. Further more, EPs are good for content that do not change so often. In your case, you absolutely need to use a automated tool to generate email content, which excludes EPs.

In Digesto, you will need to provide the feed, so you need to have one feed for each of your email scheduling period (daily, weekly). Breaking news will be harder, as Digesto does not enable to be triggered on events. You could use the same email in Marketo for daily and weekly, but I recommend you set it up with 2 distinct emails, on the same template, so that if you need to differentiate the text, you can easily.

Your program will need one smart campaign for each of the feed if daily subscribers are different from weekly subscribers.

For your breaking news, this is a different story. Using email programs might be a good choice. Prepare it, make it look good and use tokens for the news itself, so that you can clone it and send it in minutes.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much. This is extremely helpful.