New Lead via API - What Smart Campaign did you come from?

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Lead via API - What Smart Campaign did you come from?

I have a set of leads being populated in Marketo that are coming from the API. Currently, I cannot seem to discover which exact SC they are involved in.

I know of solutions to figure this out via say adding to a list in the SC flow so I can understand further, but was curious if anyone knew of another way to figure this out. Would be nice if MKTO added additional info on the creation of the lead.

3 REPLIES 3
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: New Lead via API - What Smart Campaign did you come from?

Tim McMinn

If leads are being piped in via the API, they may not necessarily be part of any smart campaigns at all. The smart campaigns are activated only after the lead is created but are not responsible for its creation.

You can see a list of all smart campaigns that have affected a lead by checking its activity log.

But if you have leads coming via the API and want to understand where they are coming from, the first thing is to look at any external apps/systems/customizations you have that might be using the API to insert new leads.

Does this make sense or am I missing something in your question?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right that was my issue, wasn't seeing the log in the activity. I can talk to my dev team to figure it out and ensure we are getting the proper activity log within Marketo.

Thanks!

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Tim,

I just wanted to clarify a few things as it may be possible to accelerate

your troubleshooting:

Is there some kind of external event triggering the lead creation via the

API (e.g., signing up for a product)?

What do you want to have happen once the leads are in Marketo?