SOLVED

Re: Nested Programs in Engagement Streams Movement

Go to solution
Debra_Monkman
Level 2

Nested Programs in Engagement Streams Movement

I have nested several programs in an engagement program stream. If someone doesn't qualify for the current program cast I want them to move ahead automatically and see if they qualify for the next program. And so on. I've read that they don't move on until the next cast but that could be too long. Is there a way to move them ahead automatically? 

For example:

Someone doesn't qualify for program 1 and it checks to see if they qualify for program 2 or program 3, etc. during the same cast. And it moves ahead until it finds a program that they qualify for. All during the same cast without waiting. 

Is this doable?

thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

What you've described is possible; it just requires a bit of setup, though. You can create a campaign setup that would add people as members of the program(s) that they should not be sent content from, so in the next cast, they would be picked up by the first nested Default program from which they qualify and should be sent content.

For your background, when using a nested program, the decision to send an email to a person is based on the program membership and program ID.

• If the person is not a member of a program, they will receive any emails that are part of the program once
  • If the person is a member of the program, they won’t receive the email
  • If the person is no longer a member but received the email earlier through that program, they won’t receive the email

It's also noteworthy to mention here that you should NOT be adding filters in each of the send nurture email campaign's smart list so only people who qualify could flow through it, as in the event that someone is filtered out of the smart list of a nested program’s smart campaign, they do not move on to the next piece of content during the current cast. They will move on to the next piece of content in the stream for the following cast.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1

What you've described is possible; it just requires a bit of setup, though. You can create a campaign setup that would add people as members of the program(s) that they should not be sent content from, so in the next cast, they would be picked up by the first nested Default program from which they qualify and should be sent content.

For your background, when using a nested program, the decision to send an email to a person is based on the program membership and program ID.

• If the person is not a member of a program, they will receive any emails that are part of the program once
  • If the person is a member of the program, they won’t receive the email
  • If the person is no longer a member but received the email earlier through that program, they won’t receive the email

It's also noteworthy to mention here that you should NOT be adding filters in each of the send nurture email campaign's smart list so only people who qualify could flow through it, as in the event that someone is filtered out of the smart list of a nested program’s smart campaign, they do not move on to the next piece of content during the current cast. They will move on to the next piece of content in the stream for the following cast.

Debra_Monkman
Level 2

Thank you for that information. I do have a few questions. 

If I'm reading this correctly, do you mean to set up my programs as exclusions instead of inclusions? How would that work with the sending of emails in the smart campaign in each nested program? or did I miss something? 

When you said member of program do you mean the nested program or the engagement program?

When you mentioned not adding filters, I'm a bit lost where filters would be or do you mean in the nested program's smart campaign, smart list?

Darshil_Shah1

@Debra_Monkman, Well, if you want the person to skip a content piece (Default program) in the stream, then you need to make the person a member of that program. Doing so, come next cast, the person would be sent the next in the line un-sent Default program content in the stream. So, you can create a campaign setup (a separate campaign from your regular send email campaign in your default program) that makes a person a member of the respective default program when they don't meet its criteria!

When you said member of program do you mean the nested program or the engagement program?

I meant the Defaut program! As said before, a person who's a member of the default program would be sent the next-in-line un-sent content, so you can use this to selectively skip and send the default program content based on your requirements.

When you mentioned not adding filters, I'm a bit lost where filters would be or do you mean in the nested program's smart campaign, smart list?

You'd create a separate campaign to add people to the respective default program in case you don't want people to be sent the respective default program. This could be a single campaign or different campaigns based on whether the criteria for skipping people is the same or not. I hope this is helpful. Happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Ruchi_Lapran1
Level 4

Hi @Debra_Monkman ,

If you are using nested programs and have set a cadence for the cast then irrespective of they qualified for 1st cast or not, the programs are bound to follow the cadence for that stream in order to trigger the next action.

I have created several engagement programs using nested programs and I recommend not using a cadence for them if the lead flow is activity dependent more than time dependent. But if leads are to be flown to different program (Program 2 or 3), then you can keep those programs in different streams and change stream for the lead if it doesn’t qualify for program 1. Hopefully this should cut down the waiting period.