SOLVED

Re: Nested programs in an engagement program stream - lead when enter the program is considered exhausted.

Go to solution
Carla_Cabaceir1
Level 2

Nested programs in an engagement program stream - lead when enter the program is considered exhausted.

I have an engagement program that has one nested program with 7 emails in one Stream.

When I want to see how many people exhausted the program I realized that  I can't get that data from the Stream and as soon as the lead enters the program it flags the lead as exhausted the engagement program but the lead continues to go through the flow to receive all emails. The question is, do engagement programs flag the lead as exhausted automatically when lead enters a nested program? Independent to  how many emails that program contains? Am I missing a step somewhere? Why the dashboard doesn't show me engagement rate?

Carla Cabaceira
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Nested programs in an engagement program stream - lead when enter the program is considered exhausted.

Hi Carla,

The logic of an engagement program actually is that you let the engagement program manage which email needs to be sent to whom at which point in time. For that to be successful, you absolutely need to separate out the emails, either on their own or in their own default program. The whole concept of the nested program is that the engagement program knows for each lead whether they have already been added to each program and it knows to skip it for that person if they have. So if you only have one program in your stream, the role of the engagement program is zero and indeed every single person will be exhausted after being added to that first program.

My advise would be to either:

• Separate your emails into different programs and let the engagement program handle the logic of sending each email at the appropriate time.
  • Take your default program out of the engagement program altogether and let it run its own logic in the smart list. Please beware that even when you deactivate a smart list like that, people already in the flow will still finish it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

The engagement program only cares if the lead is a member of that program. The smart campaign of the default program that sends the emails works independently of the engagement program cast.

If the lead has a status in the default program then to the engagement program, that default program is done and it'll look for the next email or default program

You said you have 7 emails but you put all 7 in the default program - what made you do that?

Carla_Cabaceir1
Level 2

Hi Jay,

The reason we added all the emails in the nested program is because we wanted the emails to go out depending on activity, for example after email 1 is sent, we wait 3 days if they clicked the CTA in that email we send email 2, wait 4 days and if they never clicked email 1 they receive email 2. The smart campaign flow steps goes on and on until 7th email is sent.

I'm really trying to avoid creating a program for each email. Any input on how best to do this?

Thank you,

Carla

Carla Cabaceira
Phillip_Wild

Hi Carla

Seems like it would be best to actually run this via different streams. You can have up to 10 streams in an engagement program (from memory), so you could put one email in each stream and use transition rules to move people between streams as they interact (or don't) with your emails.

Using this, you wouldn't need a nested program at all, simply seven emails in the engagement program - in a relevant stream, plus smart campaigns to move people between streams.

If the cadence made sense (for example, your emails were sent weekly) you could put multiple emails in each stream - since emails 1, 3, 5, and 7 should be sent a week apart, as should 2, 4 and 6 (for example). And then use the transition rules to move people between them.

Carla_Cabaceir1
Level 2

Hi Phillip,

Thank you,

I actually have already several streams in this engagement program because this is a global program and we have a stream per Region and some per country.

Its a bit complex as there are several variations, some countries get all the emails some don't.

I will think about your solution and if makes sense I will apply

Carla Cabaceira
Katja_Keesom

Hi Carla,

The logic of an engagement program actually is that you let the engagement program manage which email needs to be sent to whom at which point in time. For that to be successful, you absolutely need to separate out the emails, either on their own or in their own default program. The whole concept of the nested program is that the engagement program knows for each lead whether they have already been added to each program and it knows to skip it for that person if they have. So if you only have one program in your stream, the role of the engagement program is zero and indeed every single person will be exhausted after being added to that first program.

My advise would be to either:

• Separate your emails into different programs and let the engagement program handle the logic of sending each email at the appropriate time.
  • Take your default program out of the engagement program altogether and let it run its own logic in the smart list. Please beware that even when you deactivate a smart list like that, people already in the flow will still finish it.
Carla_Cabaceir1
Level 2

Thank you so much for your reply Katja.

That makes sense.

Carla

Carla Cabaceira
janerusnak
Level 2

Hi Carla, I came across this suggestion on variable cadence for emails in an Engagement program, it might be helpful in your case: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/champion-program-blogs/engagement-program-hacks-for-variable-cadence-a...

Looking to spend wisely at your company? Check out procurify.com