Need a sanity check

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need a sanity check

Hi!
We are having more and more angst internally with Marketo overwriting our records because customers are "reusing" a form on the same computer (or the admin is entering mutliple people's info into the form from the same computer). Asking them to hit "clear" or "reset" after each time isn't doing the trick. They don't do it. They think if they just delete the info that's in there and replace it with something else, that's good enough. Clearly it's not (though wouldn't it be nice if it WERE??)

So we're talking about disabling auto-fill here. Just need to confirm: If we disable it, then when a person visits a landing page/form to fill out, their visit is "new" every time, right? Even if they just filled it out two minutes ago for another person? Marketo will track that a person filled out the form (and if they're already in our database, matched on email, the activity will merge with their existing record) and follow whatever scoring/campaign automation we've established around that form as normal, but when the form is used on the same computer again, it's a new visit with a potentially "new" person? Yes?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Need a sanity check

Yes.

I recommend doing that only on Form+Page combos like an internal lead add tool for sales at trade shows like "Kiosk" mode.

Unfortunately, if you turn off that setting in Admin, you'll need to be diligent about turning it on for the pages you do want to track better.

That can also happen if people forward emails without Forward to Friend and they end up using the same tokens as theoriginal lead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, our customers seem to forward links without using Forward to a Friend a LOT. It was an issue with our previous automation platform too, though I'm pleased at least that Marketo has a disabling option (the previous tool didn't).

Am I understanding you correctly that if we turn it off "site-wide" via Admin, we would have the option to turn it ON for certain page/forms? (Sort of how it's "on" site-wide now, but you can disable it per page/form.) If so, that might be an interesting option for us. Does it work like that? I hadn't considered that it might...

One more question: Does Reset or Clear on the form REALLY remove the old token/cookie or whatever? Because I might be wililng to put stronger language for page/form "re-users" if that's true (think the "Welcome, Michaela - not you? Click here" type of thing).
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I'm not sure about the Reset/Clear button. Normally I don't put those on our forms to discourage wipeouts or anything other than going forward. I suspect it only clears the current form Values and has nothing to do with the cookie.

See the form prefill settings here:
http://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000L5paCAC