My CEO doesn't want to run a tagging campaign. How do I convince him this is necessary or is it not?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My CEO doesn't want to run a tagging campaign. How do I convince him this is necessary or is it not?

Is there a white paper on why a tagging campaign is important to get accurate results from the database?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My CEO doesn't want to run a tagging campaign. How do I convince him this is necessary or is it not?

Can you give a little more information on what you are tagging them with? I vaguely remember it being discussed in a webinar or training video, but not in an article. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction there.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My CEO doesn't want to run a tagging campaign. How do I convince him this is necessary or is it not?

Yea, the "tagging campaign" is to cookie the lead with Marketo tracking code. Such that if they then go on to do something on your website you then can see what they've done, ie they aren't anonymous.

I don't think a tagging campaign is necessarily required. You can ilicit the same response by sending out a great piece of content to your database for free. All they have to do is click onto a landing page & you're done. So why not offer them a great roi study or white paper or whatever.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Adam's point: a campaign purely for tagging offering an ipad or something similar isn't necessary, if thats what your CEO objects to.

Benefits of a tagging campaign:

• Cookie your database, reducing the number of anonymous leads and improving your data quality.  You might have a prospect visiting key webpages right now that isn't getting attention from their sales rep.  Tagging can help with this
  • Improve deliverability: a friendly email that doesn't ask for a sale (and offers a new car) will be opened and clicked more than your other emails.  This can improve your future deliverability: today I marked an email for spam in Gmail and it said "are you sure? this person is listed as one of your contacts."  Thats invaluable.
  • Clear out bad email addresses: because its a friendly email with typically high deliverability rates, you can identify bounces early and clean out your database, improving deliverability in the future
Justin1_Test
Level 2

Suggest just finding content that's relevent to a wide audience. Did your company recently win an award? Can you roll up some blog posts into a "newsletter"? Has anything recently happened in your industry that your contacts should know about (new legislation), etc? We are in insurance and our de-facto tagging campaign was an email regarding what to do pre/post hurricaine sent right before Sandy last year.