SOLVED

Re: Mutually Exclusive Smart List

Go to solution
Detrie_Zachari1
Level 1

Mutually Exclusive Smart List

I have 5 data standards based on the population of 14 fields. I need 5 Smart Lists and these all to be mutually exclusive.

Level 5 = All 14 fields are populated

Level 4 = Only 12 specific fields are populated

Level 3 = Only 8 specific fields are populated

Level 2 = Only 5 specific field are populated

Level 1 = Any of level 2 are not populated

I have two thoughts for the Smart Lists...

1)

Level 5 SL has all 14 fields are not empty and not a member of Level 4

Level 4 has 11 fields not empty and not a member of level 3... etc.

2)

Not use cascading Smart Lists

Level 5 = All 14 fields are populated

Level 4 = 12 specific fields are populated, the other 2 are empty

Level 3 = 8 specific fields are populated, the other 6 are empty.. etc.

Are either of these the best way to get there? Or, has anyone got a better idea?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Sounds an application of segmentation here. You can even add the segmentation as a field in your smart list view for data export. No need to pull several lists separately.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mark_Price
Level 7

I would do option 2 and just double check the logic / make sure someone can only qualify to be on one of the five smart lists.

Amit_Jain

Hi Detrie Zacharias​,

I would suggest to avoid cascading as much as you can, especially if you are going to uses these SLs frequently. Your second option seems to be a right approach in this case.

In addition to this, may I ask how are you going to use these smart lists? If this is something that you are going to use frequently and for longer time, I would suggest considering Marketo Segmentation​. If you create segmentation, you do not have to worry about overlapping and you would be able to create dynamic emails and LPs for your specific type of audience.

Regards,
Amit

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I agree, a Segmentation seems to be the right move here. Not only do you get the mutual exclusivity built-in, you also get a trail (for ~2 years) of the segment changes, which you can't get just by somebody no longer qualifying for a Smart List.

Detrie_Zachari1
Level 1

This will be used exclusively by the data team to score/report data quality as well as pull data for data enrichment

Amit_Jain

Sounds an application of segmentation here. You can even add the segmentation as a field in your smart list view for data export. No need to pull several lists separately.

Detrie_Zachari1
Level 1

Thanks everyone!