Re: Multiple Lead Scoring Campaigns

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple Lead Scoring Campaigns

We are a distributor that uses Marketo to automate marketing programs on behalf of several vendors housed within our individual business units. A "lead" for us is often a current customer for us that the vendor may be targeting to purchase or purchase more of their product set. We have workspaces and partitions set up to keep the “leads” housed within each business unit’s walls but am unsure how to handle lead scoring.

Each program and its corresponding campaigns need to have their own scoring mechanism to appropriately filter “leads” to sales since a "lead" may be in multiple programs at one time and we don't want the overall score to be universal. Is anyone in a similar situation? How do you segment the scoring campaigns to track each program separately? Separate custom fields? My only concern with that is we may run 100 programs in a year with each needing their own separate scoring threshold and I worry about clouding up the system? Any suggestions?
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We recently had a similar challenge at my company - I distributed leads into controlled lists that then would allocate scores based on marketing activity and have put together an ellaborate formula for lead scoring that involves multiple scores and campaigns that effect it.

I might be confused about your question - if you wanted to reach out - I can show you what we did - reach me at ecavazos@appcelerator.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to have a few separate lead score fields.

Your scoring flows can reference multiple fields or score based on which Product area they are in:

Change Score if Product Value is X, then Score Y
etc...

But I'm not sure what you mean by Program. Do you mean Marketo Programs? Campaigns? Workspaces?

Ideally your scoring flows should be independent of any particular campaign.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh

First off, sorry for the book. My company is very unique even in its industry so I'm going to try to explain best I can....

It's not so much the individual scoring values (i.e. 2pts for clicking an email) but keeping track of the individual scoring thresholds for each vendors marketing programs created here at my company (score of 35 alerts sales).
A lead (which is actually a current customer of ours) may be part of multiple marketing programs here at once. These programs could:
  • All be sponsored by the same vendor with different goals for each program
  • Could all be sponsored by different vendors (we have 100’s of vendors on our line card) with different goals for each program
  • Some programs may be recruiting them to buy a particular brand over their current one
  • Some may be targeting them to buy more of a current brand
  • Some may be enticing them to add a new technology to their product offering
  • Some may be promoting a new product on the market
  • Some may be encouraging them to enroll in an annual promo
Really the possibilities are endless! And each program could consist of different deliverables (email, web events, events, direct mail, promo sites) so each vendor expects their marketing program objectives and collateral to be treated separately from the next. I know I could create separate scoring fields for each but within a year, I think I would have over 100 fields just for monitoring scoring thresholds and am wondering if there is an easier way to do it…. Maybe there is someone I can reach out to for consulting?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Angela,

That does sound complicated. Offhand, I'm not sure how to solve your situation to target separate MQL conditions like this.

I wonder if it would be better to go with Target Audience Filters and Behavior Triggers rather than scores. I wrote a bit about this issue here: http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/my-big-problem-with-lead-scoring-322/

Your situation may require 100 smart lists to identify the right groups, then each program has its own MQL triggers based on actions the lead takes. I find scoring complicates when it shouldn't, like here. This way each program can handle the right situation with the right audience. No additonal fields required.

You may need to speak with a firm like LeadLizard or Pedowitz to help implement an elegant solution to an unwieldy situation.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh,

We have a similar situation but I hope a little less complicated than Angela's! We have two different sales team so we'd like to qualify the leads differently based on a variety of factors. Example: If they have revenue of A they get x points. If they are revenue  B they get y points. They would have several things that would be scored the same, but 4-5 things that would score them differently and assign them differently. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks!