Modular Email Template Design

Anonymous
Not applicable

Modular Email Template Design

I am designing some templates and want them to be "Modular." What that means is that each email will have different sections, like a promo section, a text section, a feature event section, etc. BUT I want to give the marketing teams the freedom to mix and match these modules as they see fit. However, I cannot find an easy solution to this in the WYSIWYG editor. 

I can currently code each module and save it as a separate snippet for the marketing teams to place into the emails as they see fit, but they cannot edit the content of these snippets once placed. OR I can code a bunch of different email templates for each specific layout, but that is archaic and creates a lot of extra work. 

Is there some way to make this work? 

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Re: Modular Email Template Design

I would say that your snippet approach is a better one, than creating bunch of different email templates. Can you use custom tokens within your snippets for content. This way, your marketing team can just update the tokens and decide which snippets to display, while publishing the final emails.
Let me know if this works.
Mark_Knoles
Level 1

Snippets are not editable by the end user. If you want to have the end user edit them you need to make them either modules with editable areas (such as rich text) or add variables for the editable elements (such as images, colors, or strings of text).

Anonymous
Not applicable

With the addition of module-level variables now added, I would explore setting up a template with the new Email Editor 2.0. You can lock down styles and crucial parts of code in the email while still allowing your marketing team to customize content.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Yes, upgrading to v2 is much better, but it can require some work, and you need to be cautious with old v1 templates.

See Upgrading to the new email editor 2.0: a recommended migration path

-Greg