Mkto clicked link activity being recorded twice

Ryland
Level 1

Mkto clicked link activity being recorded twice

We are having an issuewhen someone clicks a link in an email, it logs the clicked activity twice in the activity log. This is inflating clicked metrics and causing double, click scores to occur. 

I have checked for any other campaigns that could be causing the click to be recorded twice but there are no other clicked triggers that are influencing this. 

We did a test and found that only emails sent to Outlook are getting the double click logged. Was curious if anyone else has experienced this issue? 

TIA

Ryland_0-1720800190047.png

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Mkto clicked link activity being recorded twice

Outlook itself is not the issue. (Nor is Marketo.)

More likely, you have a a mail security layer between your mailserver and Outlook that’s changing the URL so it can pass through a security proxy before redirecting to the final URL (i.e. the tracked URL). Sometimes these setups end up with the person visiting the URL twice through a succession of redirects.

What do you see in the details of each Click Email activity?

Ryland1
Level 1

Thanks for the response and time Sanford.
I checked the details in the clicked activity and included the screen shots. 

Only diff I notice between them is that the IP address changes and the second click activity shows a "User Agent" I do not recognize and is not in the first clicked activity.
First click activity:

Ryland1_0-1721062140475.png

Second click activity:

Ryland1_1-1721062258446.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

That’s consistent with one being a mail scanner and the other an actual human.

Btw the multiple IP addresses for a single hit happens when there’s an HTTP proxy in use.