Migration to Marketo, and sunsetting old platform

Kirstin_Mahoney
Level 2

Migration to Marketo, and sunsetting old platform

Hello Marketo Community!

I’m a first-timer in terms of posting here, so I’m hoping you’ll all be nice. 😉

We’ve been in a very slow-and-steady, meticulous migration from our current email platform to Marketo, but we just received notice of termination of service which means we now have urgency around completing the migration in full, as well as archiving and exporting all data. We are still waiting to hear about the process and availability of a potential extraction but we know, at a minimum, we will need such things as documentation of unsubscribes, deliverability and engagement with required operational emails (updated privacy laws, etc) but are there other things we should be demanding?

We were ready to move to a more advanced platform – so emails, templates, images aren’t our biggest concern – but to only have 50 days to extract all of the data & leads definitely feels overwhelming. Does anyone have suggestions or experiences with something like this?

Thank you in advance Community!

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Migration to Marketo, and sunsetting old platform

What is the platform you are migrating away from?

I would start with exporting data in several discrete lists:

unsubscribes

blacklists

hard bounced emails

First/Last name, company, email address at minimum

Consider exporting your content as both HTML files and a Word doc (text and image, no HTML) if you plan on reusing.  Download images to a drive.

If you have lead processing rules, export them as well so you have a record.

Kirstin_Mahoney
Level 2

Thanks Bill!

Sounds like we will be able to get the unsubscribes, date of unsubscribe, opt-in date, etc. Which makes sense, since we have a legal obligation to keep documentation of those things. Mostly it would be nice to somehow get their activity (emails received, opened/clicked, etc) but it's not sounding very plausible.

Chris_Johnston
Level 8

Hi Kristin, we at Salytics have helped several organizations move to various and from various platforms. The sad reality is, you will lose a lot of activity data no matter what. Trying to get as much information into your CRM (or a Data Warehouse) so that it can sync back to Marketo is usually a good route to look at.

Kirstin_Mahoney
Level 2

Thanks Chris,

It's a tough reality, but definitely appreciate the housing data in CRM idea!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You may also want to start sending email to a small number of people from your Marketo instance to warm up the ip. Even though your Marketo IP is shared and will inherit sender reputation from that shared IP,  I've had it recommended to me to do a ramp up on sending emails from the new IP to avoid looking like a spammer.

Kirstin_Mahoney
Level 2

Good point Sharon!