SOLVED

Re: Migrating Static Lists to New Instance

Go to solution
Amanda_Scigaj8
Level 1

Migrating Static Lists to New Instance

I'm no stranger to migrations, but I have a bit of a head scratcher that I haven't encountered before...

We're moving to a new instance (along with new SFDC) so all of our data is migrating from SFDC-->Marketo once the schema and sync are enabled.

We're migrating some of our ongoing programs/templates/assets (which is no easy feat in their own right - I will definitely be writing about that when the dust settles).

Here's the question I have: a team needs/wants to migrate a set of suppression lists (static lists), but what happens to the list itself, and how does the data track over once our SFDC sync is enabled in production? I'm wondering:

- Will these records come over at all?

- If those records come over, what data points will come? Our schema and fields are changing significantly

- Will this create duplicates?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Amanda,

Remember Marketo does not duplicate contacts when they come from SFDC but does merge on import into Marketo. So migration scenarios should always be in this order:

1. Dedupe as much as you can from your old Marketo and SFDC. These will be the enemy, as any dupe in the old system will create uncontrolled reassociation on import in the new Marketo.
  2. Migrate leads and contacts from SFDC to SFDC
  3. Sync the new SFDC with the new Marketo. This will push the whole SFDC database to Marketo
  4. Export the remaining data (additional fields, non-sync'ed/Marketo only records) from the old Marketo and import it into the new Marketo
  5. Export and import all static list you need to reconstruct legacy (static lists, program membership, ...) information in the new Marketo. When doing so, I usually limit the exports and imports to email addresses.

Greg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You'll need to move the thread to Products (Move link at the right). This isn't a support space.

Amanda_Scigaj8
Level 1

Thanks Sanford - moved!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Amanda,

Remember Marketo does not duplicate contacts when they come from SFDC but does merge on import into Marketo. So migration scenarios should always be in this order:

1. Dedupe as much as you can from your old Marketo and SFDC. These will be the enemy, as any dupe in the old system will create uncontrolled reassociation on import in the new Marketo.
  2. Migrate leads and contacts from SFDC to SFDC
  3. Sync the new SFDC with the new Marketo. This will push the whole SFDC database to Marketo
  4. Export the remaining data (additional fields, non-sync'ed/Marketo only records) from the old Marketo and import it into the new Marketo
  5. Export and import all static list you need to reconstruct legacy (static lists, program membership, ...) information in the new Marketo. When doing so, I usually limit the exports and imports to email addresses.

Greg