Re: Merge workspaces and partitions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merge workspaces and partitions

Hi,

We are changing our strategy from a decentralized product based marketing approach to a central marketing strategy executed by one team in pretty much one location. We used to have a separate websites for each product (around 6 in total) but are now bringing in all products under the corporate website. Our Marketo instance is divided up into partitions and workspaces for each product but now we want to merge everything into one.

My question is, does anyone here have experience with merging workspaces/partitions and what are common pitfalls when doing so? Also, what happens to the leads that have a tracking cookie from one particular product (workspace)? Can we still track their activity? Any advice and recommendations are much appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Marketo doesn't provide the ability - at least not within the UI - to merge workspaces and lead partitions.  However, Support may be able to do this for you.  Also, none of the tracking/cookies contain workspace/partition info - just your entire Marketo account.  I would suspect the proper approach would be to change the routing rules you have in place today until all of your leads exist within the global lead partition and not within any of the ones that you will be deleting.  Where it's going to get complicated is moving the workspace-specific programs and assets to the central workspace.  And as you probably know, you can't move programs - just clone them.  Again, I would talk with Support to see how they can assist.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dan, that's really helpful and we'll make sure to ask Support what the available options are. About the tracking cookie however, I thought since each of our workspaces has it's own unique Munchkin code  ({"wsInfo":"workspace ID"});") the lead is only tracked for that website? And that a lead would need to fill out a form again on one of our other websites in order to start tracking there too? But you're saying that if Support is able to move leads to the default workspace we can follow their activity on our corporate website from then on?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Ah, I didn't realize you were using unique Munchkin tracking per workspace.  In that case, you're right - there may be some implications when moving leads from one partition to another.  On the otherhand - even with multiple lead partitions - leads/people still always exist within the global partition as well.

Kristi_Anderso1
Level 1

Hello Arthur,

I wanted to see if you were able to merge your workspaces?  We are looking into merging three of our workspaces into one.  I have contacted services but haven't heard back.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kristi,

It's still an ongoing process for us and I'm afraid it's not going to be easy. We talked to support and later with a professional services person (that obviously wants to charge us a considerable amount). He said they would need to move all assets and programs manually, quite a tedious task. However, if you want to start fresh (without your existing programs and assets) it's not that big of a project. You can sync all your leads to your CRM, change the product space (or whatever field you use to partition) to default, delete the non-default workspaces, and sync back your leads from your CRM.