SOLVED

Re: Marketo Zapier Integration upon Lead ID field

Go to solution
sarabjeet_gz
Level 1

Marketo Zapier Integration upon Lead ID field

Hi all,

I am simply trying to update records from Google sheets to Marketo via Zapier. I want to take Lead ID as my primary field instead of Email address since marketo many a times create dupe records upon email id field (event during list upload). 

While doing this using Zapier, I am seeing error called

"Failed to create a lead in Marketo

Field 'id' not allowed"

I know we can update records basis lead id field using API directly, but isnt zapier allowed to update records based on Lead id field?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Zapier’s prepared Zaps are just canned calls (or sequences of calls) to the REST API. It doesn’t have any special magic access to Marketo.

But the problem with Zapier — as with all no-code players — is that many seemingly obvious combinations of API options are offered. However, you can write a custom (i.e. JS) Zap to do this. We’ve done that to upsert Marketo Custom Objects, for example.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Zapier’s prepared Zaps are just canned calls (or sequences of calls) to the REST API. It doesn’t have any special magic access to Marketo.

But the problem with Zapier — as with all no-code players — is that many seemingly obvious combinations of API options are offered. However, you can write a custom (i.e. JS) Zap to do this. We’ve done that to upsert Marketo Custom Objects, for example.

sarabjeet_gz
Level 1

I am not usinga pre defined zap (from the AI feature they have as new one) - I am creating the Zap with all action triggers. But if you are saying I should write custom zap with API methods, I am out! 

Anyhow my main question still remains - the error message says "id" not allowed - so is it like zapier can't access id field or make changes basis id field?

SanfordWhiteman

I meant predefined Zaps and predefined actions as well. You need to write a custom action. It's not that Zapier "can't access" anything on a technical level, it's that they choose not to.
sarabjeet_gz
Level 1

Okay, well understood Sanford. Thanks for guiding through the route.