Marketo Segment integration

kevinrabesaotra
Level 1

Marketo Segment integration

Hi folks

I try to integrate Segment and Marketo as it would ease our life. Unfortunately, right now, it creates duplicates leads.

Indeed, Marketo is not able to merge the anonymous Lead with the new lead who submitted the form.

We've followed Segment's best practice.

But unfortunately, it does not work (we are going to try the last advice, pass email in the call, and track call). Indeed, even if the field AnonymousId is not empty, the lookup is done through userId, so it creates a new user.

Do you have any good advice to make this integration work?

Cheers,

Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Marketo Segment integration

yes, Segment should not be tied to Marketo directly. Please use middleware to manage the flow of data (Boomi, Talend, etc).

Chloe_Pott
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I'm not Segment expert, but we use it at my company and we are not getting duplicates. I am not aware of us using any middleware to funnel the data. However, I read in their documentation that you linked, that it's best to use Marketo V2 to avoid dupe issues. Are you on Marketo or Marketo V2?

reteshsingh
Level 2

It will be great if we integrate our website to Segment and then segment interact with Marketo.

Open question for ALL - I have started to look into options. Please share the information you have learnt from you implementation?

Adobe Marketo Engage is the name of the product we will use, what is Marketo V2?

katiebosch
Level 1

We have integrated our Segment instance to Marketo, but the Marketo V2 sync did the exact same thing...duplicates. We worked with one of their solutions architects to create a Custom Function. This passes data from the track event tied to an email address (we were missing email before). The Custom Function also lets us write to our Custom Objects (Marketo V2 only updates Custom Activities) which means our teams can take advantage of Velocity Scripting.

Mkhanna0510
Level 2

Hi @katiebosch Did you tend to receive anonymous webpage activity information with this solution?