Marketo rounding figures? How to stop it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marketo rounding figures? How to stop it?

Hi all,

Here's the result of my support case submission:

Thank you for waiting patiently. I have checked with my Tier 3 and we have found out that it is an expected behavior. To sound more technical in detail, the "Annual Revenue" field is of type currency and in MySQL its considered to be a Float field. To be more simple, MySQL will automatically round the values in our current database structure.

You might ask us to tweak the structure to accept that value but its not feasible for us to do so as it would require a major overhaul of the database and it could cause a whole lot of implications that could even make the database to get crashed often. To be simple, database will become unstable and might cause a lot of issues.

We do have a work around for this. which is to change the field type to "string" . However, standard fields type cannot be changed. So, we suggest that you create a new custom field of type "String" and then have your desired value.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

and it could cause a whole lot of implications that could even make the database to get crashed often. To be simple, database will become unstable and might cause a lot of issues.

Laughing to keep from crying... I mean, just say "This is a legacy architectural decision and there are no plans to change it."   No need to throw any FUD into the discussion. Obviously if this were an exact Decimal  (or even Integer, even the IRS doesn't care about decimal points with annual revenue) it wouldn't be any less stable!

But what's still being obfuscated in the response is this isn't rounding as humans understand it.

When you use a (single precision) Float, 932,849,000 is stored in Marketo as 932,849,020.  Note the stored value has seemingly invented 20 more dollars out of nowhere. We don't call that rounding!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

FYI, I'm working on a blog post (next blog release cycle, next week or so) that's going to dive deeper into this issue and probably blow some minds with things that unexpectedly no worky.