Marketo not sending me internal tests

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Marketo not sending me internal tests

The usual cause of this is forgetting to include an unsubscribe link in your footer (or the footer that contains this).  Marketo does not warn you when you forget to do this.  The email will simply not be delivered.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Learn something every day. Thanks Dan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably the root cause

Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

We have a global unsubscribe footer set up in the admin section so all the emails do have the footer, and it still happens.

Another reason for the sample email not getting sent is when you have a token in your sent from/to and there is no default value defined, e.g. if you have {{lead.lead owner email address}} instead of {{lead.lead owner email address:default=info@company.com}}. In this case email cannot be sent because there is no email address to send it from.

However, even when everything is configured correctly, there are still cases when Marketo would just stop sending you sample emails and that just seems to be a glitch

Also just to be clear, I am talking about "Send Sample" option

Screenshot_79.png

If you are trying to send yourself a test email through a smart campaign, you have most likely exceeded you daily/weekly communication limit. If that is the case there should be an activity log for this that will look like this.

Screenshot_80.png

Also to be able to send yourself a test email through a smart campaign make sure that you exist in your database as a lead.

So here are potential reasons:

1. Send sample

- no default value in the token

2. Test smart campaign

- no lead with your email address

- used up communication limit

- missing unsubscribe token

Dan Stevens would missing unsubscribe footer affect both sample and test smart campaign emails? We don't use unsubscribe token so I am not sure about this one

Solutions:

- add default value to your token

- add unsubscribe token

- create yourself as a lead

If above doesn't help:

- try a different email address

- mark email as operational (be careful to switch it back after testing)

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Please contact Support and we can provide bounce or delivery codes for your sample sends.  90% of the time the email is successfully sent and accepted by the recipient server which then tosses it in Spam or Quarantine or something like that.  The other 10% is either a soft/hard bounce because the recipient server doesn't like the email or because there was something malformed in the reply-to or from address in the email.