SOLVED

Marketo <> SFDC Sync

Go to solution
zakihajar
Level 1

Marketo <> SFDC Sync

Hi there, I am trying to understand how Marketo and SFDC records are connected (field key). I see examples where the Marketo record will have a different email value than the associated SF record. I've also seen the Marketo record have a different Marketo ID than the associated SFDC record. How is the integration making sure that these two records (Marketo, SFDC) are connected despite having different Marketo IDs and Emails? Is it through the SFDC ID? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marketo <> SFDC Sync

I see examples where the Marketo record will have a different email value than the associated SF record.

This is only possible if you’re bidirectionally blocking updates. It’s not at all common and you must avoid this configuration.

I've also seen the Marketo record have a different Marketo ID than the associated SFDC record.

What do you mean by “the Marketo ID of the associated SFDC record”?  SFDC records do not have Marketo IDs.

How is the integration making sure that these two records (Marketo, SFDC) are connected despite having different Marketo IDs and Emails? Is it through the SFDC ID? 

Sorry, the question doesn’t make sense. The relationship is (obviously!) via the SFDC ID, since that identifier exists on both sides. (The SFDC Lead/Contact ID is read-only in Marketo, but a copy is maintained in the Marketo database.)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

I see examples where the Marketo record will have a different email value than the associated SF record.

This is only possible if you’re bidirectionally blocking updates. It’s not at all common and you must avoid this configuration.

I've also seen the Marketo record have a different Marketo ID than the associated SFDC record.

What do you mean by “the Marketo ID of the associated SFDC record”?  SFDC records do not have Marketo IDs.

How is the integration making sure that these two records (Marketo, SFDC) are connected despite having different Marketo IDs and Emails? Is it through the SFDC ID? 

Sorry, the question doesn’t make sense. The relationship is (obviously!) via the SFDC ID, since that identifier exists on both sides. (The SFDC Lead/Contact ID is read-only in Marketo, but a copy is maintained in the Marketo database.)

zakihajar
Level 1

@SanfordWhiteman It's been a while since I've used Marketo. I was able to figure out the second question there "What do you mean by “the Marketo ID of the associated SFDC record”?  SFDC records do not have Marketo IDs." 

It looks like there is an operational flow used to change a SF data value of "Marketo Record ID" to the Marketo Lead's {{Lead.Id}}. Looks like it is a custom setup. When I initially reviewed the field in SF, I assumed it was out of the box. You can ignore this Q. 

Thanks for the help! 

SanfordWhiteman

It looks like there is an operational flow used to change a SF data value of "Marketo Record ID" to the Marketo Lead's {{Lead.Id}}. Looks like it is a custom setup. When I initially reviewed the field in SF, I assumed it was out of the box. You can ignore this Q.

OK. So what about the other question about mismatched Email Address fields? That also is far from normal.

zakihajar
Level 1

Yeah I looked into that too.

Looks like there are merges occurring or manual updates when the lead converts to a contact in SF. So the old lead record might still have the same old email address but the existing converted contact record that is now connected to the Marketo record have the same email address. Basically, I need to be looking at the converted record and not the lead record that is no longer being updated. 

SanfordWhiteman

OK, makes sense.