SOLVED

Marketo Google Analytics Integration

Go to solution
oaj
Level 2
Level 2

Marketo Google Analytics Integration

Hello,

We want to know if we are able to stop using UTM's and integrate Google Analytics into our forms instead. Currently we are adding UTM's to the form to track where the leads are coming from.

I have added a screen shot with how our current forms are set up with UTM's.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Oscar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Marketo Google Analytics Integration

This would need you to populate the hidden fields in the forms programmatically using Forms2.0 JS. You could hard-code the default catch-all values in the hidden fields in the form editor. Additionally, you woud need to have the Google Analytics data available while processing the form submit. If not, you'd need to back-fill those programmatically using API (preferably using the bulk APIs) later (i.e., post-form submission). Also, to get some background, why are you planning to make this change? Are not getting accurate data using Marketo's native autofill based on UTMs?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1

This would need you to populate the hidden fields in the forms programmatically using Forms2.0 JS. You could hard-code the default catch-all values in the hidden fields in the form editor. Additionally, you woud need to have the Google Analytics data available while processing the form submit. If not, you'd need to back-fill those programmatically using API (preferably using the bulk APIs) later (i.e., post-form submission). Also, to get some background, why are you planning to make this change? Are not getting accurate data using Marketo's native autofill based on UTMs?

oaj
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for this. I was told the reason for this is that we don´t need UTMs except for Marketo and that these days UTMs are no longer used. So, we would like to get rid of all UTMs and use the auto-tagging function of Google Analytics.

Darshil_Shah1

AFAIk, auto-tagging could let you get away from including URL parameters in your Google Ad URLs.  If you use auto-tagging in your Google Ads account and as long as GLCID parameters are being added to the final URLs of your ads, you don’t need to add UTM parameters. But, this IMO doesn't address the need of tracking interactions from sources/channels other than the paid Google Ads. You'd still need UTM params and hidden field setup in Marketo forms to track form fills originating from those other channels. Please let me know if I'm missing anything here. Also, using the auto-tagging enabled, you'd get analytics data in the GA. I don't think you'd be able to report using that in Marketo/attribution platforms integrated with Marketo (unless of course if those attribution platforms have a direct integration with the Google Ads).

oaj
Level 2
Level 2

We found this post with instructions on how to integrate but, the pdf is from 2015 and we are not sure if its still relevent.

https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-documents/seamless-marketo-google-analytics-integration/ta-p/2...