Re: Marketo batch uploading

ryan-church
Level 2

Marketo batch uploading

Is there a limit to the number of leads that can be in a REST API csv upload to marketo using the `bulk/v1/leads.json` call?  I uploaded a 9MB file with 113592 leads in it, but only 112900 made it into marketo.

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The limit should be bytes, not leads (and of course you’re under the byte limit). Are you sure there wasn’t a chunk of duplicates?

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Or potentially some records that failed the import?

ryan-church
Level 2

no records failed the import, per me checking the failure batch API route.

ryan-church
Level 2

I know that the file itself had no duplicates in it.  Each time I tried to upload it, it always said it uploaded the same number each time (only 94% of the leads), so I do not know if there was another issue involving leads that already existed in marketo.

ryan-church
Level 2

The file can contain any number of records, so long as the file totals less than 10MB in size<-- as per the docs.

I was using the REST API to upload documents of 9 and 5 MB, but each time, it would not process all the records.  I decided to try to upload the files manually through the website, and I got file too large errors until I used a 1MB file.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Ryan,

Congratulations on getting a solution - even if it is one that I imagine didn't please you much.

Another alternative would be to not use the bulk api, but to submit the records in batches of 300 via the regular API.

There are significant benefits to using the API, namely:

1. You can dedupe on things other than email address
  2. You can detect bad data and correct in your loader

Cheers

Jo

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The file can contain any number of records, so long as the file totals less than 10MB in size<-- as per the docs.

Yes, that’s what I meant by bytes. 🙂

I’ve never encountered a problem with the byte limit. Sounds like it’s time for a Support case.