Logging website activity in SFDC using Marketo - Looking for tips/advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Logging website activity in SFDC using Marketo - Looking for tips/advice

I've been tasked with getting Marketo to log our client website activity in SFDC so that it is reportable in SFDC.

What I need to accomplish:

When a client downloads a report from our website we want that activity/event to be logged in SFDC using Marketo. Our overall goal is to see how many reports our clients have downloaded, when they downloaded them, and how many times they downloaded them from our website. We want the ability to run SFDC reports that show us which Clients are the most active on our website.

I'm a little lost on where to start with this task. I do know that I will be relying on the "clicks link on web page" trigger but I'm not sure what my flows should look like. Do you think creating several custom fields for this is the best way to go?

Any tips or advice from my fellow Marketo users? Help!

Thanks!!

Brooke.

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Logging website activity in SFDC using Marketo - Looking for tips/advice

Are these gated assets or ungated?

• Gated - use fills out form and then a flow step to log a Task and have a set of campaigns publishing Interesting Moments. Please look up those in the docs.
  • Ungated - you'll have to use Clicks Link on Web Page IS/Contains. Then create a Task and an IM.

Tasks/Activities are reportable in SFDC. You will have to decide on a naming convention for the Subject Line. You may want to consider a custom Asset Last Downloaded field as well, but that may be worthless.

Also consider adding people to SFDC Campaigns by having each Asset have a separate Program tied to an SFDC Campaign. There are some ideas here: Marketing Attribution Setup ChecklistMarketing Rockstar Guides

Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh Hill​ Would I be able to create a field in SFDC that can track the number of downloads?

I was thinking of creating a campaign for each report we want tracked and setting up a flow that adds them to the campaign when the link is clicked. I was wondering if it was possible to create a field in SFDC that can count the number of times a report is downloaded. I could then add a step in the marketo flow that would add +1 to the field. Where would this filed live though?

Thoughts?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Brooke,

You can do this. Just create a field in SFDC with a type Number (5,0). Do this on Lead and Contact. Let it sync to Marketo (wait 5 to 10 minutes). Then go to Marketo, admin -> field management. Search for your "Number of  downloads" field and hit the "Filed action" -> "Change Type" menu and set the type to score.

Now you will be able to add +1 to this field using the "change score" flow step in "fills out form" triggered campaigns.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg! I'll have to play around with this.